First mountain quail

FISHNFRANK

Oct 17, 2017
I just wanted to acknowledge that they exist haha. I’ve spend a lot of time trying to actually hunt them and this year I actually got a couple of shooting opportunities. The problem with our local mountains are they they’re just so choked with overgrown brush that there are very few areas of clearing and mixed cover that you can effectively hunt them in. In the spring they’re everywhere calling for mates but in the fall/winter they don’t vocalize much. Probably the best eating game bird (that includes ruffed grouse) I’ve ever had and certainly the best looking.AF83EDA7-1B56-4C19-B1DA-7531E5586A35.jpeg

Last edited:
Last year I bought at FAIR ISIDE SXS 20 gauge. It’s not a terribly expensive gun, around $1700 but looks and shoots like a much more expensive gun. I wanted a SXS but didnt want to risk spending more and finding I don’t like them. But I do and I’m already thinking about buying an upgraded one, just thinking about the brand and whether I want a 20 or 28. But CA ammo laws make obtaining 28 in non toxic expensive and hard to find of course. So we’ll see. I’ll probably just enjoy this one for a while. I had to cut it 1/2” for my short arms but the cast and drop worked out perfectly for me.

Last edited:
Very cool. One of my favorites, if not my favorite bird. Except they can be lazy AF. Once I had to kick rocks at a covey to make em fly so I didn't have to sluice em at like 20 yards.
I’d live to find the lazy ones but I just seem to run into the other kind haha

• Love
Reactions: DirtHunter
very nice :) . I have the same problem. I can find them but shooting one is another story.
Yep. They were always in an overgrown spot next to a cliff of death when I was going for deer earlier this year. Dropped one last week in a barely recoverable spot. Oh course pre season I saw tons in a huntable spot.

congrats there awesome I could always find them were i can't shoot them , they are tasty

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu