First of many...

MarceloF

Jun 2, 2017
I recently built a riffle to go shoot coyotes, I have a shotgun but wanted something more powerful than a 22LR and tamer than a 30-06.

My son has been going out with me and we had a couple of close calls but no kill...this day I was out by myself.

As I was hiking in, I see a couple of dogs getting out of a ditch about 50 yards from me and go over the top of the ridge thru some fairly heavy brush. I tried to line up my sight but they moved fairly quick and got away...As I keep moving towards the direction they went, I noticed a third coyote move up about 30 yards to the right of where the first two go out of.

I was better prepared this time and managed to put my cross hairs on it and let out a bark. The dog stopped for a second but quickly kept on moving...I barked a second time and as soon as it stoped, I squeezed the trigger and connected...The coyote collapsed behind a small bush and was turning and twisting so I took two more shots. No more movement.

When I got next to it, I see that one shot hit its front leg and broke it. One hit the neck and one was on the back end (the bloody area on the pic).

Not a big one but Im happy to get my first coyote down...

I was out with my son yesterday calling and on one of out sits, within 2 minutes of calling, I looked at a bush less than 10 yards from us and see a fox starring at us, that was supper cool. No coyotes showed up yesterday.
coyote.jpgcoyot 2.jpg

Nice shootin', Marcelo....Cool rifle.... :clap:
Thanks...I gotta work on my shooting but its improving...hitting a moving target or one that just paused when you're shaking from the adrenaline rush is difficult! :neutral:

Just throwing this out there. If you recently built that rifle in CA and shot that coyote in CA you shouldn’t post pictures of that gun anywhere or carry it anywhere.

Reactions: MarceloF
Just throwing this out there. If you recently built that rifle in CA and shot that coyote in CA you shouldn’t post pictures of that gun anywhere or carry it anywhere.

It has the pin that makes it legal. I don’t see a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I don’t understand the law then. Enlighten me. Sorry for jacking thread.

No worries. As I understand the law it says that Ar’s have to be “featureless” when you make your ar featureless you can not have a normal grip. A loophole to that is having the juggernaut pin which makes the magazine to be fixed to the gun. When you press the button on the pin it separates the lower and the upper like a 1/4 inch and then you’re able to drop the mag. So with that pin you can have a normal AR under California law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate you looking out... Really do!

Amir hit it on the nail, it has a Juggernaut pin. I't looks like a normal AR but the mag will not come out unless the upper and lower gets separated. The pin allows the upper to separate but not flop over pivoting on the front pin. Im not sure if it makes sense so here's a video.

keep the scope on low power 3x takes the shakes right out :)

I added a cheap red/green dot at a 45 degree angle that hopefully will help with the close range shots, I am saving for a scope that has 1-6 or 1-8 power...looking at the Primary Arms with the predator reticle.

Meanwhile Im working my shooting from a stick, off hand and in awkward positions.

BTW, is anyone thinks that it is better to not post pics of this kind of riffle in its current set up, let me know and Ill remove it...I don't want to invite trouble.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I appreciate you looking out... Really do!

Amir hit it on the nail, it has a Juggernaut pin. I't looks like a normal AR but the mag will not come out unless the upper and lower gets separated. The pin allows the upper to separate but not flop over pivoting on the front pin. Im not sure if it makes sense so here's a video.

Americans are awesome!

I added a cheap red/green dot at a 45 degree angle that hopefully will help with the close range shots, I am saving for a scope that has 1-6 or 1-8 power...looking at the Primary Arms with the predator reticle.

Meanwhile Im working my shooting from a stick, off hand and in awkward positions.

BTW, is anyone thinks that it is better to not post pics of this kind of riffle in its current set up, let me know and Ill remove it...I don't want to invite trouble.
If it's legal it's all good. What'd you build there?

Heck Yeah! Congratulations on First Blood there Man! Next time you'll hammer those two at 50yds as well! ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu