Sneakyhunter

Oct 31, 2021
Anyone around Ventura county willing to show the ropes to a new guy i went deer hunting by myself but had no luck i went quail hunting as well but nothing want to go again but i dont have a starting point any advice would be helpful.

If you haven't already, do some research on deer habitat and behavior, same for quail, or any game animal for that matter. Go out and do some glassing to see if you can locate deer in the area you plan to hunt, you may have to glsss for hours on end to see any activity. look for sign, tracks, droppings, rubs, and bedding spots. There are not a lot of areas in So. Cal. with good deer population, so you might want to see about hunting other areas to the north, or even out to state. Quail numbers are down from previous years due to the drought, Go out and look for water holes or gusslers, man made watering holes for game birds. If there is a local rod and gun club, join up and get to know the members, ask if anyone is willing to give a newbie some advice and are willing to take him out with them on a hunt.

Sneaky,

Welcome to SCH....Everything John said, and I would include getting OnX Hunts for e-scouting...Also, get on DFW's website...This month they have articles about hunting upland in California...They also have articles about hunting other game in Cali...You Tube and Google are your friend.

While quail hunting...Use your ears as much as your eyes...Really, that goes for most bird hunting.

ps...Invest in good binoculars, boots, and conservation groups...Good luck

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu