Fishing Charter

I'm going to respond with the assumption you are not familiar with boats and rates. Rates do not vary much week day vs weekend. Duration of trip and load to some point is what sets the price. Prices go from About $135 to $400. That is for day trips up to 1.5 day trip. Three landing to chose from H&M terrible parking, Fishermans same. Seaforth is by far the best for parking, which IMO is important. If you arrive when the boats are retuning that helps. Mid. week can be a little better, both for boat load and parking, which kind of go hand in hand. You can go out to the Coronados on a day trip for yellow tail, which requires a passport, Mex. waters. Charter boats are more than likely booked by now so you will be looking at a party boat. Most of those carry around 32 +-, a few really pack them in, but that will be for day trips, out in the AM return in the PM. Look on 976 tuna for daily fish reports and up coming trip, also look at sea conditions. You don't want to be out there in 8' seas with 15 knot winds. Bouyweather give two day reports without annual membership fee. Rental gear is available at the docks if you don't have the right gear. don't take light gear. Hooks, #2 thru1/0 should be fine, If you know your are going for yellow tail 1/0 will be fine, but it's best to be ready for what ever. 30# line with fluorocarbon top shot but, fluorocarbon is not a must for yellow tail, just tuna.

My birthday is coming up next month and I'd like to go on my first fishing charter. Im thinking at least a full day. Anyone have any recommendations on some full day trips out of San Diego?

Open invite to anyone who wants to tag along!

Tight lines!
My favorite boats are the Islander and The San Diego. They will get you on fish if there are fish to be caught.

May will be BFT for 1.5 day boats, right now it's fishing in the dark 3am- 7am using flat fall jigs & bait down deep......but tomorrow it will change.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
May will be BFT for 1.5 day boats, right now it's fishing in the dark 3am- 7am using flat fall jigs & bait down deep......but tomorrow it will change.
63 reported yesterday. 1.5 day trips. 2 & 3 day trips prolly going to do better. I like #1 &2 for tuna, unless we get into the bigger grade, above 80 lbs. then I'll go up to 1/0. Bait size determine shook size. The San Diego is $200 leaves at 5;30 returns at 5;00. 34 load.

Last edited:
I do not get on a boat with more than 28 people. San Diego is a 73' boat. 34 load gets to be a real mess in wide open bite. That's just me. I always take into consideration, at any one time there may be 4-8 guys not at the rail. Either eating, drinking, sleeping or just sea sick.

I do not get on a boat with more than 28 people. San Diego is a 73' boat. 34 load gets to be a real mess in wide open bite. That's just me. I always take into consideration, at any one time there may be 4-8 guys not at the rail. Either eating, drinking, sleeping or just sea sick.
yes I agree, I have lost to many fish from crossed lines, and from people yanking on their lines, if that happens let the fish run with the line and cut their lines. does not always work, but it has most of the time. I was going to suggest a 3/4 boat as well for this time of year, probably could turn into a boat ride, hit and miss.

63 reported yesterday. 1.5 day trips. 2 & 3 day trips prolly going to do better. I like #1 &2 for tuna, unless we get into the bigger grade, above 80 lbs. then I'll go up to 1/0. Bait size determine shook size. The San Diego is $200 leaves at 5;30 returns at 5;00. 34 load.
that's not a bad price

Now, 976 reports Old Glory up to 100 yellow tail, sounds like 1 BFT. Sitting on school o BFT. I'm thinking the yellow tail are the smaller grade, only because they did not mention size. typically the give away on size.

I'm going to respond with the assumption you are not familiar with boats and rates. Rates do not vary much week day vs weekend. Duration of trip and load to some point is what sets the price. Prices go from About $135 to $400. That is for day trips up to 1.5 day trip. Three landing to chose from H&M terrible parking, Fishermans same. Seaforth is by far the best for parking, which IMO is important. If you arrive when the boats are retuning that helps. Mid. week can be a little better, both for boat load and parking, which kind of go hand in hand. You can go out to the Coronados on a day trip for yellow tail, which requires a passport, Mex. waters. Charter boats are more than likely booked by now so you will be looking at a party boat. Most of those carry around 32 +-, a few really pack them in, but that will be for day trips, out in the AM return in the PM. Look on 976 tuna for daily fish reports and up coming trip, also look at sea conditions. You don't want to be out there in 8' seas with 15 knot winds. Bouyweather give two day reports without annual membership fee. Rental gear is available at the docks if you don't have the right gear. don't take light gear. Hooks, #2 thru1/0 should be fine, If you know your are going for yellow tail 1/0 will be fine, but it's best to be ready for what ever. 30# line wi²th fluorocarbon top shot but, fluorocarbon is not a must for yellow tail, just tuna.
I appreciate the reply and your assumptions are correct! I am completely green to this subject. When I was looking at some trips it seemed that the same boat 1.5 day on sunday was $100 cheaper for the same type of trip on a Wednesday. I am going try and get my passport in time but not sure if it will happen. I wouldn't mind just getting onto some rockfish for the freezer but landing a tuna would be awesome and the San Diego for $200 sounds like a good deal. I might have go with the rented gear since I have more of a lightweight setup.

Gundog has it pretty much correct. If you want a coronado or full day trip, it's likely about $200+ depending on the boat. There's also Point Loma which is right next to HM. Parking is a PITA. Boats I think are still running limited load. I'm going out on the San Diego out of Seaforth for a Coronado trip this Saturday (24th). Can't wait, but if you want tuna or larger grade YT, you need to hop on a 1.5 or multi day trip. Gotta go far for the big boys, and yes, the flatfall bite at night is the ticket. Got my cow last October doing just that on the Voyager. Todd's an awesome captain with a kick ass crew.

Also, plan on bringing an additional $100 cash, to cover food, fish cleaning and tipping your deck hands. Set up is mainly a rock fishing rod on the heavier side to handle YT. And at least one or two additional rigs, in case you break your line during the mayhem. You don't want to be tying a new hook if the bite is on.

I have to get my passport to do the Coronado Island trips but I really want to try one of those. For my bday I might just do the half day from Seaforth to get my feet wet..I don't think I have the right setup to take my pole out there so I will have to rent some gear.

Go up to dana point or Newport and get on one of the boats fishing the island (San Clemente) you will board the night before and catch all the rockfish you want and perhaps get a shot at some Yellowtail. No passport needed. IMO the half day out of SD or any place is a waste of a good BDAY.

If you manage to get your PP go with any full day out of SD.

Give us a heads up on witch you decide. maybe we can pull something together. I like birthdays and fishing and have a shit load of loaner gear.

Oh and keep this in mind, if you hook a yellow YOU ARE DONE, Ching $$$ Ching!

I'll wait for the liberty to come on line then go. I like the bunks to sleep and stow gear. The SD has a great crew and get you on fish. I never felt it was too crowded on the rail.......deck space for you and your gear sucks but hey it's combat fishing!

Remember June 1st prices will go up for the summer run.

Go up to dana point or Newport and get on one of the boats fishing the island (San Clemente) you will board the night before and catch all the rockfish you want and perhaps get a shot at some Yellowtail. No passport needed. IMO the half day out of SD or any place is a waste of a good BDAY.

If you manage to get your PP go with any full day out of SD.

Give us a heads up on witch you decide. maybe we can pull something together. I like birthdays and fishing and have a shit load of loaner gear.

Oh and keep this in mind, if you hook a yellow YOU ARE DONE, Ching $$$ Ching!
You made a compelling argument..now I'm considering a 3/4 day outta dana point lol

You made a compelling argument..now I'm considering a 3/4 day outta dana point lol
The shortest trip I go on is 1.5 day trip. You get both AM and PM fishing along with midday which a lot of time is for rock fish or in close to island for calico and maybe some YT. You said this is all new to you so stick with shorter trips. 3/4 day or overnight. I am going on an 1.5 day trip the 30th out of Fishermans then a 3 day in Sept. on the Tomahawk. I'll get in a few others when the White Sea bass start.

Another option is 3/4 day local on the Point Loma $135 limited to 18 people my kid cooks and decks on there. They fish local and you will catch something. The islands boats Liberty, San Diego, Grande, and Mission Belle are all great choices but they will likely chase yellowtail or tuna given the opportunity is available and will likely only fish for other fish if the game fish aren’t around. My 2 cents

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu