Float Tubes for freshwater Bassing etc.

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Going to make a move on float tubing. Looking for options based on recent experience. Gathering intelligence.

Looking at the Fish Cat 4 deluxe. Open to suggestions.

Also want to hear about fins, accessories etc.

Thanks -

I have the fish cat 4 and love it. Very comfortable.

best fins for tubing in my humble are called “force fins”

Reactions: NBK
I'm no hardcore tuber so most of my gear is all low to mid range Bass Pro stuff (White River brand), which has served me well so far with no issues. My favorite accessories are the rod/net and cup holders.. I got them el cheapo off Amazon I think. I've definitely gotta get the tube out more often this summer.. it's been awhile.

I got split fins since we can’t dive them in the military. Can’t hardly tell you’re wearing fins if you kick far. Used to use frog xl’s.
Don’t remember name of my tube but it was from bass pro. Very similar to fish cat. Maybe less price about 10 years ago when I could still get out.

I love fishing from the tube. Freshwater, saltwater back bays, and even in the kelp.

Tube - I would recommend the Fish Cat "v" style. There are a couple brands who make the knock offs of that style. I think Fish Cat is still the best.

Fins - I have always used the Montana Kickers that work with boot foot waders. They work and used to get me up current in the back bays.

Accessories - PVC rod holders are awesome and well worth it. I always just had a 4 rod holder sticking straight up on 1 side. I attached a piece of PVC shooting down into the water and added a transducer for a fish finder.463.jpg343.jpg335.jpgIMAG0281.jpgIMAG0025.jpg

I have used a Fat Cat from Out cast for 15 years ,

The quality of the outer shell and the bladder material as well as the air valve are superior to other tubes , you can save a few bucks but when you are floating in the middle of South lake or Sabrina you'll feel better for spending a few extra bucks.

In additon Outcast is located in Idaho with great customer service .

Reactions: nicapopolis and NBK
I have narrowed the float tube down. Any more opinions on fin?

John,

I always liked the Caddis that takes wader boots...That way, if I wanted to fish the shore I could without punching a hole in my waders.

.pond fishing 6-12-13 003.JPGpond fishing 6-12-13 015.JPG

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Do you guys like the neoprene waders or the breathable waders for the float tube (I have an idea already but would love to hear some feedback)?

I have used both neoprene (Cold) and breathable (warm) Depends on the water temp.

the force fins work amazing but I just looked them up and they are $250? They work well in the tube because they are shaped for the upward kicking motion. More power with less effort and less strain on your legs.

Reactions: NBK
Breathable waders (Gortex) will last and will be more comfortable in both cold and warm situations , if its cold dress in layers. Neopremes even in cold will tend to cause at least some sweat which in turn makes you feel cold and or gives you the feeling that you have a small leak in your waders. However with breathable waders you get what you pay for , and regardless of the price they do not hold up to the abuse of the neopremes.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Never tried float tube. I use breathable in my kayak and for wading there just way more comfortable to me and much lighter I like the guide pants style but I have them both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John,

Don't get me wrong....Breathables are awesome and I only hunt waterfowl in them....Just my experience in tubing (which I've done a lot)….They just don't seem to last very long and are pricey….I have also jumped in my pool with tight neo's on and they float you....Breathables with a belt would probably do the same thing.

I've got the brown neo's for under a 100 bucks...I still use this pair after 8 years.

.lake hodges.jpg

You putting the smack down on them ditch pickle! There definitely fun to fish for

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I have both neoprene and breathable waders for duck hunting and for tubing (haven’t fished from my tube in several years). I prefer breathables almost 100% of the time for everything. In neoprene I usually sweat like crazy no matter what I’m doing and I just don’t feel comfortable in them as I do breathable. Only time I use neoprene anymore is duck hunting in freezing conditions and it has to be damn cold. To keep warm in breathable waders just wear quality fleece wader pants. If real cold wear 2 pair. My personal opinion is get breathable waders for tubing, they are way more comfortable and versatile.

Reactions: A Team
I used breathables for everything now. I have used them in my tubes many times. We broke ice and hunted ducks out of our tubes with breathables on here in Colorado. No issues.

As Steve mentioned, bootfoot waders with the fins that work with boot foots. I use Montana Kickers. I have had spots were I hike into the pond and the bootfoots just work great for that. Obviously you could also wear wading boots with non bootfoot waders as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu