Flock of Fall Toms

invisible man

Walk The Line
Oct 7, 2011
About 20 feet up
I had these guys across the meadow about 600yrds away. I gobbled at them for about 30min. And they finally started working my way. An hour later they popped up under my stand. Its about 5min long but there is a few good birds there.
[youtube]L7502F-guS0[/youtube]

Outstanding Invisible, thanks for sharing that. I have two questions. First, what is your favorite gobble call? I am practicing yelps and purrs with a diaphragm but I need a different device for springtime gobbling. Second, at close range they look more like rios than Merriam's (buff tips and copperish glint on their sides), but how do you tell for sure if they are not strutting and their coverts are covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Outstanding Invisible, thanks for sharing that. I have two questions. First, what is your favorite gobble call? I am practicing yelps and purrs with a diaphragm but I need a different device for springtime gobbling. Second, at close range they look more like rios than Merriam's (buff tips and copperish glint on their sides), but how do you tell for sure if they are not strutting and their coverts are covered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the birds in SoCal are Rio's. they brought them over from Texas In the early 90's. They chose the Rio for its ability to adapt to brush country. I like the Haint Gobbler,from Down and Dirty Outdoors. With a little practice you can put out the best gobbling you ever heard. but they all work.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu