Forest or desert? What say you for Coyos?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I am bored out of my mind and putting weight on fast.... After all the rain I really want to go out and do some hunting and get some exercise.

I bought an e-caller, the entry-level top choice on Amazon, $159 Luck Duck Rebel. Anything better than that and you are looking at $300 to over $700+ and that's not going to happen.

I don't see Coyos when I am hunting deer but I see their fresh crap on the trails. I also see them next to my place, on the golf course, you name it. The coastal urban areas are loaded with them but can't take them here.

Where would you go? The Forrest or Imperial Valley ( 8 East). I wonder if with all the snow still in the mountains, the Valley is a better choice?

I always see more coyotes when there is snow. It could be because they are easy to see or because they are more active, I am guessing some of both.

I think most favor the desert for them but I wouldn't overlook the mountains.

Always show at prime time..first 15 and last 15...Don't mess with them then.
as they will put a negative in the pocket book at those times for me. Anytime , anywhere..after that...game on..desert dogs are plentiful..don't see many high altitude High mountain dogs killed..they there..but not low hanging fruit..not in jackastan anyways..

Yotes are everywhere and can be found so. you don't have travel far they like to stay around gulf courses and houses for the easy eats. Just find a place close to home you can hunt there will be coyotes there. Now weather you can call them in is another matter altogether. The harder an area is hunted the harder they will be to get to respond. Song dogs are smart and educate easy. Like any other animal breeding season is the easiest time to hunt them as they will be the most active. If you can night hunt them in your area all the better.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu