Fox/ Coyote

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
At the risk of sounding stupid...New to hunting and can’t find anything anywhere about taking fox. Is it legal? On that note, any good spots to checkout around D16 for a first coyote hunt?

Much appreciated I couldn’t find this yesterday to save my life.

I have a mouth call for coyote but I’ve never tried it and I’m not entirely sure where to start looking. Ideally somewhere a bit more secluded. Anyone ever hunt coyote in ocotillo on the blm out there? I like shooting out there so figured I’d try to hunt next time I’m out there.

Be careful. Mountain lions are off limits and now bobcats. Next will be coyotes... Just got to see what Dumbass Newsom is up to next. Remember this is a sanctuary state and we have to protect them.... LMAO

Much appreciated I couldn’t find this yesterday to save my life.

I have a mouth call for coyote but I’ve never tried it and I’m not entirely sure where to start looking. Ideally somewhere a bit more secluded. Anyone ever hunt coyote in ocotillo on the blm out there? I like shooting out there so figured I’d try to hunt next time I’m out there.

Coyotes are most everywhere in the IV with lots of wildlands amongst farm land...And probably a lot less pressure out there than here in San Diego Co. as well.

I’ve got a bow, 25-06, 223/5.56, 300AAC anyone have any ideas which to start with?
The only glass I have is on the 25-06 and my 223 has a red dot.

@ilovesprig - Question, do they ever let dudes go predator hunting out there in Wister? 'Cause we were hearing a buttload of coyotes yippin' and hollerin' like tops 30yds away a few times in the early morning when we were there. Man... sounded like a good 8+ or so were yippin' it up when we were dealing with unsticking TrapLine's "HuntStang" from the Mud. And then another time mid-morning as well. I was fully expecting to see some a time or two while we were out there. There were a few times the Coots flushed en-masse from the land back out into the water, and I just know it was because of one of them!

Larry,

Most wildlife areas have designated game that can be hunted...Coyotes aren't one of them on Wister...Rifles are not allowed on the area either...Lots of areas around Wister though that you can hunt and call.

Reactions: TheGDog
If you're local to San Diego, you might want to Google "San Diego County Varmint Callers". Meetings are the third Monday of every month at the Ranch House restaurant in Santee. There is no meeting this month due to our Annual Banquet last week.

Negative Sir. I'm up here at the North end of Orange County kinda where the 22fwy and 405fwy meet.

757, Ocotillo has some good yotes running around. If I travel that far I hit the north side of the 8, stay close to town (within the law of course) the yotes love to visit for some easy cat/dog meals.

If you're local to San Diego, you might want to Google "San Diego County Varmint Callers". Meetings are the third Monday of every month at the Ranch House restaurant in Santee. There is no meeting this month due to our Annual Banquet last week.

Will look into it. I’m near beach towns in SD.

757, Ocotillo has some good yotes running around. If I travel that far I hit the north side of the 8, stay close to town (within the law of course) the yotes love to visit for some easy cat/dog meals.

I’ll be heading out there this weekend to burn a lot of rounds. I’ve got a mouth call but I’m honestly not sure I know what I’m doing with it.

Has been a pain to get lead free ammo. I’ve got some 9mm, 556 and 25-06. It was a chore to come by. Surprised more shops don’t carry more lead free given the regs.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu