Gaia or OnX?

just_ducky_1

Aug 17, 2015
Oceanside, CA
I use Gaia at work all the time, never used it for anything other than mission planning. Now I see there is an app?!?! Costs considerably less than OnX (I have the $99 annual one) which I don’t use all the time due to being gone.
Who here uses Gaia and what do you think?
Thanks in advance.

I was wondering about that myself as I am planning on getting one of the two

Justin,

I've never heard of Gaia, but I do think that OnX is the best modern day hunting tool money can buy for the DIY'er or freelance hunter.

Last edited:
I've been using OnXmaps for the past 5 years.

I also needed a good gps navigation app for offroad and "overlanding" use for a long time. I bought Delorme Topo years ago and ditched that long ago. Google Earth is not really suitable and Google Maps pretty much fails even when you download maps for offline use.

I'd heard about Gaia a couple years ago from a co-worker and started looking at that recently. In a nutshell, Gaia Membership and Premium subscriptions do pretty much everything onX Hunt and Offroad does. Neither onX apps have nearly the number of map layers Gaia does and you have full access to all 50 states with Gaia. I cancelled my onX subscription and went straight to the Gaia Premium subscription.

I like how Onx is writing a series on inaccessible public land, so I'll support them with my $$$.

Additionally I prefer leaving the phone in the car, so the Onx chip is the way to go.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu