Gear Question... Headlamps.

• Thread starter Deleted member 27310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27310

Howdy All,

Hope everyone is well.

So I was out calling and Lowes brand headlamp went out, so I had to use my spotter lamp a Streamlight Game Spotter which a buddy lent me. Well the batteries started running low on that also, so I called it a day came home and grabber a beer.

Well, now im online shopping for replacement batteries and thinking I might order my own spotter lamp and get a headlamp also.
Any of you guys carry something specific that has worked for you or just keep using my Lowes gear?

Rick

oh yeah... Bobcat hunt report... almost got stuck, batteries ran low, giant owl wouldn't leave my decoy alone.

Reactions: Aeon and Dawnandusk
I just always make sure it has a medium setting that's around 45-80 lumens so I can use that during hike-in hike-out. And I like to get the ones which have color lights. At least Red. But best if have RGB too. So when I wanna be careful of not spooking the game, and not lose my night-adjusted vision, I'll use that.

My Coleman one (3AAA), it's nice. What I like about it is you have to rotate a switch to turn it on. So no probably of accidental turn-on while in the pack. The push-button on types can often have the problem of they get pushed down and turned on when its in the pack.

Gotta listen when you're hiking too. Sometimes inadvertantly while packing away my Mojo Critter 2 decoy the on switch can get bumped enough to turn on. If you listen close, you'll hear it sometimes.

I recently added a Black Diamond SPOT, Um.. 320 model no I think. It's pretty darn cool! Got it off Amazon for $20. That one is only slightly bigger, with a 4AAA design, but since it has a dimming function, I usually just crank down the light a lot while hiking to conserve a ton of power. That one is good for storage in pack because it takes a significant press to turn on, AND, the press must last for a 2-count. Plus it does a good job of remembering what light mode you just had it in at last power on.

And when you get a small backup hand flashlight, make sure it's got a pocket clip that will allow it to clip to your hunting cap!

Also get in the habit of bringing a set of replacement batteries to match everything in your kit. For me, this is why I've passed up on some fancier items that have rechargeable stuff in em, because if I take a pack of AAA's or AA's I know I've got at least 3 devices covered with that.

I once had a Petzl I really liked but it slipped out of my jacket pocket somewhere and disappeared. A few years back I got a Black Diamond (not sure which model) as a gift and have been using that.. it's been OK but I wish the red light was a bit stronger, since I use that a lot. I do like that with the BD I can adjust the light power easily and check the battery life, but I think most decent brands can do that as well. I always bring a backup light and a set of batteries, wrapped together in electrical tape.

I always have 2 headlamps in my pack. I prefer headlamps that use AAA batteries. Honestly $20 headlamps work fine. I like the ones campfire sells every once in a while. The energizer headlamps from wal-mart work great. Right now I have a black diamond and the energizer headlamps.
Headlamps are one of those pieces of gear I don’t go crazy on.

I go big with lights, no fun spending the night in the woods because you can't see to walk out.

I carry an extra battery & a cheap headlamp as my backup.

This lamp is the best I've found on cost vs weight vs lighting.
At 1000 lumens you can light up enough for good night time filming

Im running a Black Diamond headlamp as well for my main light. I do carry a cheap 5$ ebay headlamp as a backup. Its super light and tiny so it can pack away easily.

home depot has a good sale on 2 coast head lamps. i use coast for work. thee run on batteries but you can fins some models that charge and take batteries.

Hi Rick
Hope all is well and happy New year.
I to prefer AAA. I buy a good quality head lamp. So many types.
For rechargeable wall Mart sell a rechargeable battery pack that is for cell phones(USB) that work very well for recharging. Can also be used for rechargable head lamps.
I purchased my head lamp from big 5 and has worked well. It was pricy.

Thanks Guys. Monthly bonus is coming up so going to buy a few new gadgets to add to the arsenal. I'll report back with what I decided to buy.

IMG_6745.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu