Getting smrt, "trained", tough to call summer yotes.

Handgun

Jun 28, 2014
Imperial Valley
EDIT to add..."in the summer, when hunting yotes is tough!"

So I have an area where I know there are yotes, and they are not welcome there...I have tried calling with a FoxPro FX3, and I generally work up every few minutes from squeaks to various rabbit distresses to invitation to challenge to pup distress. I had two young n dumbs come to distress, but nothing since. The only thing I get boo out of is invitation, and it gets them to yipping and yowling at evening time, and I hear them take off into the distance.

I'm leaning toward hunting them like deer. Keep scouting the area and looking for trails, and hanging out at sundown to listen for where their gang-up-and-go-hunting howls come from to pin down the location and ambush them. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Getting smrt, "trained", tough to call yotes.

hahaha ya they are getting smart. I am no predator expert. but what works for me.
need something that they look for finding their normal routines.. like when the coyotes hunt for game animals, turkey or deer. if too many people call too much
they will learn from experience. it will take some expert calling. just like turkey calling.
hahaha just saying. but I am no expert at it.

Don't give up on the calling just yet. Go to FoxPro's website and download some distress sounds that you've never played before that way you can throw something at the coyotes that they have never heard before. If you're not getting dogs to come in with invitation howls and pup distress it may be time to try a challenge howl to target the alpha male and alpha female in the area. You can also go to Tony Tebbe's website at Predator University.com and download some of his sounds like coyote fight and decoy dog and Coyote fight. You might also think about getting a life-size coyote decoy like the one in my profile picture and using that together with a howling or challenge howl sequence so that the coyotes have something to lock on to visually. How long are you staying on stand?

Reactions: BangBangBrandon

I usually don't have a lot of time before it gets dark or the sun gets hot or I need to go do something else....so I just make one long stand. Minimum 30 min usually more like an hour.

Anytime you wanna come give em a whack and learn me some, lemme know.

I'm gonna go today and scout where I heard them last and then wait/call at sundown.

I'll try some oddball stuff on the caller I haven't used yet.

Awesome response Josh. This kind of post really makes it worth while to be on this forum!

Thank you John.

I found sign tonight, so I know more about where comings and goings are happening, but nothing on the caller. Tried bobcat in heat, doe distress, invitation, challenge.

I think I need to spend more time out and make more stands to have a better chance of getting closer to where they actually are. Need to get night lights.

Wicked lights decent?

Gonna look into visual aids. Hey I just realized I have some life size cardboard cutouts... Mount on an RC car...hmmm...haha!

Thanks

Old Roy dog food from Walmart. Cheap stinky and I hear dogs love it. Make a little pile and slip a cam on it.

Reactions: sportyg

Good idea, thanks. Recommendations for decent cam, not too $$$? Can't wait for school to start back up so wifey's gettin paid...

You're welcome to come out and give 'em a whack too if you want. I'll be after 'em all this weekend.

Handgun said:
I found sign tonight, so I know more about where comings and goings are happening, but nothing on the caller. Tried bobcat in heat, doe distress, invitation, challenge.

I think I need to spend more time out and make more stands to have a better chance of getting closer to where they actually are. Need to get night lights.

Wicked lights decent?

Gonna look into visual aids. Hey I just realized I have some life size cardboard cutouts... Mount on an RC car...hmmm...haha!

Thanks

I've posted up some reports on one of my spots and how they NEVER come in to a call. You have to see if you can identify travel patterns and set yourself in a position to where they are traveling towards you to get to water or whatever so you can use the call / decoy better or ambush them. They are predators by nature so eventually, something's going to give.

Yes, the Wicked Lights are very good. They're in the top few predator lights companies.

I'm working an ag area, so water is everywhere (so are little frog coyote snacks)...but I am learning travel patterns based on tracks more and more. They're skulkers...following along edges of bushes and trees (where the rabbits are, this place is full of them), a little below the ridgelines...but then again, every once in a while, they'll pop up to look around and skyline themselves.

Handgun said:
I'm working an ag area, so water is everywhere (so are little frog coyote snacks)...but I am learning travel patterns based on tracks more and more. They're skulkers...following along edges of bushes and trees (where the rabbits are, this place is full of them), a little below the ridgelines...but then again, every once in a while, they'll pop up to look around and skyline themselves.

hahaha well I suggest getting some rabbits.

Let me know when you go and i'll try and join you... I'm always ready to take a yote down, even better when they play hard to get..

rick

Coyotelight.com

Coyotelight looks good. Spoke to allpredatorcalls.com and they said they new Wicked light coming out is going to surpass it...for a lot less coin. Still haven't made up my mind.

I went out before dawn this am and set up on the feed elevator, the guys had been seeing them in the yard. Nada, so I gave a locator howl. Down in the drain to my east where I've heard them before. Moved to half a field away and tried again...nada. Tried to the north...nada. Gonna have to try decoy and whatever other tricks I can come up with. Summer is tough.

Before you decide I would verify wether or not the new wicked w402zf has a dimmer feature or not. If it does not then you would probably want to go with the coyote light. The dimmer feature where you can dial the light from the lowest setting to the highest setting is the best feature on the coyote light.

Go to toy r us they have some toys that are battery operated movement......toss a fresh rabbit hide on it they will come a running.....or use bait.......maybe record a yappy neighbors dog and try that.....print a color picture on line and make a cut out then just place a used dog collar on it for scent.

When they get smart you need to give them sound, sight and smell......when really smart snare which is a challenge and you learn even more about this predator.

Reactions: Moves

Josh Pearson said:
Before you decide I would verify wether or not the new wicked w402zf has a dimmer feature or not. If it does not then you would probably want to go with the coyote light. The dimmer feature where you can dial the light from the lowest setting to the highest setting is the best feature on the coyote light.

You're right...he said the new wicked will have 3 brightness settings vs. the rheostat/dial dimmer on the 'yotelight, so that is one thing better.

Is that the Flambeau Lone Howler decoy?

MJB, good stuff, thanks. Those are the lines I'm thinking along, but I hadn't thought of some of those.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu