Getting the daughter a gun

Papadeuce

Aug 27, 2018
Carlsbad
Looking to get my daughter her first gun. She’s 8 years old and petite. Like 45 lbs, lol. She is absolutely fired up to start shooting and getting out with me on some hunts. Figure it’s time to get her started with her own gear.

Thoughts on a good starter rifle for her? She is left handed too so that limits things a bit. I’m thinking a little 22 like this??

Any advice or experience you all have I’m open ears. Thanks.

This Christmas I bought my 7 year old daughter the Savage Rascal .22LR and it fits her perfectly, but she hasn't shot it yet. Bought it at Fine Firearms.. they had a few colors in stock as well as the similar Crickett .22LR. I didn't care for the Crickett's manually cocking bolt and safety and weight (heavier), which is why I opted for the Savage over it, in addition to the fact that I've had a couple Savage rimfires and loved em.

Just a thought as she starts shooting...check her eye dominance. She could be left handed but right eye dominant which might require some adjustments. I just had that conversation with my wife last weekend.

I think I'd buy her a Red Ryder BB gun and see what way she likes to shoot best...I was born a left handed shooter and left eye dominant, but right handed...Switched to right shooting only at at about 11-12 years old...Your options for right handed guns is much better for down the road.

Reactions: Papadeuce
I would look at the Savage Mark II G youth model also. Instead of being a single shot like the Rascal, it comes with a ten round magazine. That way she can start shooting one at a time and then let her use the magazine when you think she is ready.

Reactions: Papadeuce
Check out the CZ too. They are definitely more money but there is no question in quality between them and all the other youth 22's.

bought my son a Savage Rascal for his first gun, had to learn to use the peep sight and eventually got him a scope. They'll outgrow em quick, and then my daughter got to use it, and she loves it.. but she'd about outgrown it now. Only problem with the Savage Rascal's is a firing pin issue (google it) where they start light-striking but it's because of the shape of the firing pin. Ours has started having that prob but we're prob several hundred rounds down the road with that thing (which in a single shot means a lot of range trips)..
I second the eye dominance thing.. my son swings a bat and hockey stick (well used to) left handed, and flirted with left handed shooting but settled on right handed which makes life much simpler.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu