Going to try local for dove

SDHusker

Aug 25, 2018
Hello all; another out of state transplant that's trying to figure out all the regulations/passes/maps. Spent all weekend driving around Palomar Mountain trying to find a spot for next weekend for me and my two sons. Saw quite a few birds on the North side along the 79 on Saturday; but didn't know how to get back to land open to hunting. Last night, bought OnX maps from the recommendations on here. Spent this morning along East grade road; saw very few (3). Even spots by Lake Henshaw that I thought would be good, didn't see anything there. Now that I have OnX; I think I'll go look along the 79 again.

've hunted in the past out at Bythe/Cibola for the opener; trying to find someplace that's not as crowded. Didn't realize how good i had it growing up on a family farm and having the whole thing to ourselves.

Two questions; lead is OK this season for dove all around Palomar Mountain? Is any type of Forestry/Wilderness Pass needed around Palomar or Cleveland National Forest?

Yes, lead is OK for doves unless you're hunting in a state wildlife area, which you said Palomar so you're good.

The FS pass is a trickier question. I used to always buy an Adventure Pass but stopped because it didn't seem applicable to the remote places I'd park and hunt. But I know guys that have gotten tickets recently, which were in the more 'visible' spots like designated OHV trails, some areas of Mt Laguna, and at the named hiking trailheads. The Adventure Pass is only like $20 or so if you're worried about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SDHusker
Yes, lead is OK for doves unless you're hunting in a state wildlife area, which you said Palomar so you're good.

The FS pass is a trickier question. I used to always buy an Adventure Pass but stopped because it didn't seem applicable to the remote places I'd park and hunt. But I know guys that have gotten tickets recently, which were in the more 'visible' spots like designated OHV trails, some areas of Mt Laguna, and at the named hiking trailheads. The Adventure Pass is only like $20 or so if you're worried about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you, and yes I agree $20 isn't worth getting a ticket; even if it's most likely not necessary.

Unless it changed, I believe the "ticket" you get for not displaying an adventure pass (to park on land you already pay taxes to use) is simply the fee to buy the adventure pass. It was my understanding that the pass was only necessary for places which provided some sort of amenity such as bath rooms, picnic tables, etc. YMMV.

SDH,

I can tell you there's basically no public lands along Hwy 79 around Lake Henshaw.....That's all VID.....Which is leased to the hunting club....MCC.....There's BLM around these areas too, but it's not really dove habitat.

There is some public lands on S-2 (San Felipe W.A.)….There's also San Jacinto W.A. near Perris....Both have dove, but not the kind of numbers you'll find out in the IV.

I drove up the S2, but I didn't have the OnX app that day, so I didn't know how to get back to the public lands. Saw lots of birds there.

Along the 79, I was thinking more around the palomar divide truck trail. Read about San Jacinto WA last night, will likely try that at least one day.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
The San Felipe W.A. on S-2 is well marked.....Starts a little ways past the sheriff sub station.....Be careful though.....The signs that say No Trespassing are closed areas inside the wildlife area.....The closed zone basically starts at the Edwards Ranch road (dirt)…..There's a kiosk that tells you where you can go.

Again, the only public land near Hwy 79 is not near the Highway itself.

Last edited:
SDHusker the reason for my first post is this.
The laws have become difficult and convoluted. And it is a must to understand the caveat of getting caught by Mr Green jeans.
For example , you must not get caught, in your possession with any shot gun shells with lead. In wild life areas. If you do you will get fine.

You can shoot dove in BLM, NF or private until 2019. Then all lead is dead.
You have to read the regulations until you under stand it. Then ask specific questions.
Hope this helps
Longbow

And just to what was all ready said. I run into dove in NF with wild grain.
Look for these with water near by.
Good luck to you and your son.
Best
Longbow

I stopped buying the forest pass several years ago and have had no tickets. A forest service ranger told me you need it only if you park in actual developed parking lots. So I always just find a wide spot along the side of the road and park, and Ive been fine.

I stopped buying the forest pass several years ago and have had no tickets. A forest service ranger told me you need it only if you park in actual developed parking lots. So I always just find a wide spot along the side of the road and park, and Ive been fine.

Hi Waterdog, I heard this too. But I have not seen it in writing. I heard that hikers sued and won. But I see signs all over in certain areas.
Maybe some one has seen it online?
I am hesitant tell people this. Because I don't want to be responsible for them getting a stupid ticket.
Sprig you got anything?
Best
Longbow

Since I am in tight money issue. I may hit a couple of local spots as well. Since it will be public land I have couple boxes of shells to shoot.
Main thing it's about getting out.
And if I score it will be a plus.
Good luck to you all.
Best
Longbow

Just to play devils advocate. It is not ok to scout on the opening day of archery deer but it is ok to shoot dove? Public land my friends go get em.

By the way I am perfectly fine with people hunting dove anywhere on public as long as the season is open.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu