Good day at the lake

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Decided to try Santee lakes yesterday morning. Almost didn't make it..wife wanted to tag along but is 7 1/2 months pregnant so the mornings are rough on her. After getting a late start we made it to the lake after 7:30am. It was a cold morning so I was hoping the fish wouldn't be active that early and would move around when it started to warm up. A buddy met us out there and had set up on a spot but I wasn't feeling it..had an itch to try a different spot on that lake and glad it did. I rigged up and tossed my pole in and while I was rigging up my wifes pole my bell went off..grabbed my rod set the hook and from the splash I could tell it was a good size. At that moment I realized I forgot my net. When it got closer I could tell it was a hawg..I didnt want to try and muscle him on to shore in fear of my line breaking or hook coming out. I was able to pin it against the bank and grab it by the gills and pull it out. It was my PB rainbow trout to date..weighed in at 3.77lbs 21". I was excited but it got slow and thought that I got the first cast fish curse and wasn't going to catch another one..around 10am I realized my powerbait had come off my hook so I put more on, tossed back out and 2 min later my bell went off and brought in another one just under 3lbs. 40 mins later I caught another toad at 3.5lbs. My buddies were tossing nearby by but weren't catching them. I told them to toss when I was. I decided to go clean the 3 I had and tossed my pole in since my buddies were still there. As I'm cleaning my bell goes off..I hooked up on another 3.5 pounder. All fish had swallowed the hooks so there was no tossing them back. Have some room in the freezer so gutted them on site and brought them home to fillet and prep for cooking. Came home with 4 fish..needless to say it was a great day at the lake..haven't had a day like that in a few years.

20220121_081714.jpg

20220121_105122.jpg

20220121_120534.jpg

PXL_20220121_193115080.jpg
PXL_20220121_194842363.jpg

IMG_7971.jpg

20220121_230252.jpg

Great job and congratulations on your PB. Enjoy your good dinners ahead.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Thanks! & No roe in trout..had fun showing my daughter the hearts still beating while in my hand and other parts of the fish. It was delicious..I'd take it over salmon!
There both my favorite some days I like salmon over trout other days vise versa.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Thanks! & No roe in trout..had fun showing my daughter the hearts still beating while in my hand and other parts of the fish. It was delicious..I'd take it over salmon!
When I do them this way there both beyond great. Slice of butter , slice of lemon some fresh dill sprinkled with Mediterranean sea salt and smoked paprika cooked around 20 mins on cedar plank. And I can grub that shit cold the next day at work for lunch.
d76446be78115a11c945485a087e4ef2.jpg
ef447bd41f9863bcafb1f4613b87dcaa.jpg

When I do them this way there both beyond great. Slice of butter , slice of lemon some fresh dill sprinkled with Mediterranean sea salt and smoked paprika cooked around 20 mins on cedar plank. And I can grub that shit cold the next day at work for lunch.
d76446be78115a11c945485a087e4ef2.jpg
ef447bd41f9863bcafb1f4613b87dcaa.jpg

Damn Cal that looks amazing!! I will have to try that. I need to head up north for some salmon fishing! what other recipes you have for trout & salmon? I just did some Salmon Florentine the other night and want to try it with the trout.

20220116_201545.jpg

Damn Cal that looks amazing!! I will have to try that. I need to head up north for some salmon fishing! what other recipes you have for trout & salmon? I just did some Salmon Florentine the other night and want to try it with the trout.

View attachment 52989
That looks killer. I really don't have recipes I just throw shit together usually and usually its pretty damn good. Both them meals you showed look great.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu