Good lake for new outboard break-in?

benCa

Nov 15, 2021
Hi - bought a boat - mainly for duck hunting.

(which reminds me, if you buy a CAMO boat, it's all yours, your friends, wife, daughters, the neighbors, etc; they won't be caught dead on it. Next time you buy a boat, get it in camo)

I have a 40hp mercury on it, and I want to break it in properly, which requires varying RPMs over 2 hours.

Is there a lake that's close'ish to Poway where I can go, that's not too busy, where I can act like a total moron unloading the damn thing and then go back and forth for 2 hours while I play with the Lowrance finder? A big lake where a moron can be undetected?

Hodges, which I live next to, as we know, is a no-go. San Vincente OK? Or El Cap better? Henshaw?

Thanks guys!

.IMG_0233.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys,

And good lord, all of those ducks, for a split second I felt jealousy rage!

That's a good looking boat!

Reactions: sportyg
Benca that,s a nice rig , hit the nearest lakes . Break in very important . I have a 35 year old Mercury 70 , I did the break in 3 times it runs like a top today with great compression as well . I never had to much to it , except for two stater's , fuel pump ,hoses , fluids ,one brain , water pump complete over hall , several impellers , its now on second set of spark plugs . things you would expect to do in 35 years .. Two many outboards blow because of the impeller . Wax that merc , it will shine for years .

They will look like good places to use a kayak, so your motor on you bass boat doesn't churn up mud.

San V is low, but still huge...Water is coming in from the aqueduct arm...Your good to go as far as breaking that duck boat in... :blush:

.IMG_5670.JPG

Last edited:
When I was a kid in Georgia we just grab a big tub/barrel......cranked that motor up and break it in without going anywhere.

I'd go to the Colorado River!
2 hours on any of those lakes would drive me bananas.......way to small

I so agree with the camo!

Henshaw is an option, but it's the polar opposite of San V and El Cap...Flat as pancake and you'll probably need a 4x4...The good is, you'll be the only boat on the lake... :blush:

.IMG_5370.JPGIMG_4585.JPGIMG_4586.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu