Goose hunt gear recommendation

cal_ore_outdoors

Sep 14, 2020
Doing a late Jan hunt in NorCal for specks. Have been upland up to this point so looking for recommendations on basics that don’t break the bank. Hunt is in rice fields, and don’t think they will be flooded at that time, but probably a good chance of rain.

Buddies said waders are a nice to have. But any thoughts on waders vs a waterproof bib and jacket? On the economy end of waterproof gear it looks like truetimber makes some options, any opinions on the quality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camo breathable waders are nice, if it's REAL wet...I normally wear muck boots with Drake bibs in Max 5, when it's just plain wet (rain)...My jacket is the Drake 3-1 Max 5 jacket... :blush: ...Probably looking at under $500.00 for both.

Thanks [mention]ilovesprig [/mention] . Helps to here an expert opinion and I was thinking I might get more mileage out of the muck boots throughout the year.

Thanks [mention]ilovesprig [/mention] . Helps to here an expert opinion and I was thinking I might get more mileage out of the muck boots throughout the year.

Good muck boots have a ton of applications...I use them a lot while turkey hunting and fishing as well...Guaranteed dry feet in tall wet grass.... ;)

Doing a late Jan hunt in NorCal for specks. Have been upland up to this point so looking for recommendations on basics that don’t break the bank. Hunt is in rice fields, and don’t think they will be flooded at that time, but probably a good chance of rain.

Buddies said waders are a nice to have. But any thoughts on waders vs a waterproof bib and jacket? On the economy end of waterproof gear it looks like truetimber makes some options, any opinions on the quality?

Goose hunting is a very deep rabbit hole to crawl down. Check your bank account and the strength of your realtionship with the woman in your life. It cost me many thousands of dollars and many girlfriends but I have never had any regrets (sex is highly over rated when you can shoot a goose instead)

Many different ways to kill waterfowl. Please describe the blind and field conditions as depending on this will dictate the gear you need (pit blind versus layout blind versus boat hunting etc... The folks here will be better able to give you good direction. Many of us here have done all and can save you time and money as well as increase your comfort level when it comes to a wet day in the field.

Definitely won’t be by boat. Rice fields and supposedly they should not be flooded at the time we are there. Not sure yet whether pit blind or lay down.

I was the filler spot for a party and all of our first time to the area. The sense I get from the outfit that we booked through was there are a number of fields in a few city radius that are options and we don’t get too much info until closer to the date.

Just trying to find a versatile setup that doesn’t take me too far down the rabbit hole. Seems like supply chain woes around the holidays with certain sizes being on short supply is what I’ll be competing with.

Most the hunts are in pits...Either way, pit or layout...Camo stuff is more of statement thing than anything else...You're already hidden...Good rain gear and waterproof boots are much more important...It can get cold as well...So, jackets like the drake 3-1 are nice for laying...Under Armour cold gear is on the must have list too...Bibs are ideal, but not necessary...They do afford you to wear regular cloths underneath as does a camo jacket.

I wear nothing but Sitka these days and it really is worth the money, but I killed a lot of stuff with just camo bibs and a brown hoodie.

.IMG_8860.JPG

.IMG_3282.JPG

I wear nothing but Sitka these days and it really is worth the money,

You caved.
You don’t know till you try it. Then you’re like. Wow there is a difference.

Darryl,

I didn't cave, it was forced on me... :joy: ...My daughter bought me the 1st pieces for Christmas...Since then, I've added to the collection...Love it...:heart:

.IMG_4388.JPG

bc9c35a136448faa6d26a7caeb02ba44.jpg

Thanks all. [mention]ilovesprig [/mention] I took the advice on the Drake 3-1, and settled on some Rodgers waders. [mention]Snake Charmer [/mention] I think this gave me the waterfowl bug, I can tell the gear purchases are already testing relationship strength, ha. Mild weather, but stayed warm the whole time. So much fun!

bc9c35a136448faa6d26a7caeb02ba44.jpg

Thanks all. [mention]ilovesprig [/mention] I took the advice on the Drake 3-1, and settled on some Rodgers waders. [mention]Snake Charmer [/mention] I think this gave me the waterfowl bug, I can tell the gear purchases are already testing relationship strength, ha. Mild weather, but stayed warm the whole time. So much fun!

Did you hunt with RJ?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu