Great Day At Wister

Nice job, how was the mud?

Great hunts gents looking forward to getting a few this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look like a great time! Congrats! What type of duck calls would you guys recommend to someone wanting to try waterfowling?
I got a primos high roller right before this hunt and I think it does a good job of replicating a teal, wigeon, and pintail although it didn’t seem to turn any passing ducks on saturday. Not many mallards get shot at Wister and San J so I’d probably go with a teal hen call or gadwall call if I were to get another call since they’re much more common than mallards on those refuges. The funny thing is on Saturday afternoon I was blowing my faulks mallard call with my nose and the cinnamon teal were dive bombing the spread anyways! I read that bad calling will flare ducks, I guess I proved them wrong!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Your last statement says a lot...Duck calling on a state area or refuge is way over rated...Ducks normally call most when they're relaxed, not when they're getting "blasted" at...If you're on the X, then you can do pretty much anything and they'll decoy.

There are exceptions, especially when you're away from others...Widgeon whistles and soft mallard calls (lonesome hen, feeder, or comeback)...Never really thought calling was that necessary for sprig.

Half the fun of duck "hunting" is calling and thinking you called them in or "turned them"...If I could only have 2 calls for ducks, it would be a double reed mallard and a widgeon whistle.

IMO...Investing in good decoys and movement for those decoys will get you more ducks...How you position your decoys can matter as well...2 cents

Saturday at San J

.009.JPG013.JPG

Your last statement says a lot...Duck calling on a state area or refuge is way over rated...Ducks normally call most when they're relaxed, not when they're getting "blasted" at...If you're on the X, then you can do pretty much anything and they'll decoy.

There are exceptions, especially when you're away from others...Widgeon whistles and soft mallard calls (lonesome hen, feeder, or comeback)...Never really thought calling was that necessary for sprig.

Half the fun of duck "hunting" is calling and thinking you called them in or "turned them"...If I could only have 2 calls for ducks, it would be a double reed mallard and a widgeon whistle.

IMO...Investing in good decoys and movement for those decoys will get you more ducks...How you position your decoys can matter as well...2 cents

Saturday at San J

.View attachment 42555View attachment 42556
On saturday at Wister I had a pair of pintails land in the decoys before shooting light and then take off a minute later, throughout the day I saw some flying but they were all up high. How do I get the pintails to come within shooting range?

i get to hunt places that often have zero other hunters. For the most part calls do very little. Gives me something to do when birds are flying by. It will get ducks that are in travel mode to look my direction and sometimes they come over. Blowing a widgeon call to other ducks can push them away. Damn widegon are mean :) pins if they are calling back will respond. Teal peeps might make them relax a bit but never got them to swing a 180 and come back with it.

Movement in your decoy spread and cautious use of a Pintail call works for me.....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu