Great Service from CDFW Today

sportyg

Oct 28, 2011
SoCal
Yesterday looked up the local CDWF Office on the web: link showed it was open from 8 am to 5 pm, The office on Raffen Rd. in San Diego County. So I decided to drive there to apply for my disabled Vet license. 300 mile + round trip. Got there sign on the window say they are closed to the public. Called the phone number listed and did not receive a return call. While leaving a message 3 others came by, needless they were not happy campers. Drove back home 5 hour turn around. Went on the website to contact us. Sent an email to the CAWF Director, explaining what had happened. Steven called me back within an hour. We talked about the problems he is having with this issue and how they get a lot of calls about it from fellow sportsmen. He said, he wished more people would email like I did so he would have a trail of complaints rather then call complains he could use with the department heads for the different areas. Needless to say we talked about hunting and how the fires put a damper on things. Back on subject. we spoke of the different ways I could sign up for the program. I elected to use the link they had on like. Steven advised me he would have his assistant email me the link. Sure enough when I logged on this morning about 8 am there it was I scanned my documents and sent them using their secure link Mr. Vue was standing by and approved my Vet discount as soon as he received my documents. I sent his an email thanking him, and ask him to thank Steven and his fellow staff for their outstanding help.

That’s awesome. The CDWF has some good people working for them. I’ve met some great wardens and biologists who work for them. I think their main problem is that they are under budgeted and understaffed. California would rather spend its money on illegal aliens and homeless drug addicts.
By no means do I want to discount those that are good and hard-working people at the CDWF; however, I have experienced far more that are the opposite. It seems that we have anti-hunters running our hunting agency which is not a good or helpful formula for us hunters. I do know of one warden, a Lt. now I believe, that has a great reputation in my area. Sadly, far too many don't. Just 2 years ago I was swarmed by 5 wardens for driving on a open and paved public road. They pulled me over, made me "assume the position", disarmed me, and searched my truck. All for nothing. They were by far, the least freindly officers I have ever interacted with. Hell, they made the CHP look friendly.

By no means do I want to discount those that are good and hard-working people at the CDWF; however, I have experienced far more that are the opposite. It seems that we have anti-hunters running our hunting agency which is not a good or helpful formula for us hunters. I do know of one warden, a Lt. now I believe, that has a great reputation in my area. Sadly, far too many don't. Just 2 years ago I was swarmed by 5 wardens for driving on a open and paved public road. They pulled me over, made me "assume the position", disarmed me, and searched my truck. All for nothing. They were by far, the least freindly officers I have ever interacted with. Hell, they made the CHP look friendly.
Out of curiosity what was the reason they picked you to pull over? Even if wrong they had to have probable cause or reasonable suspicion. Especially to do what sounds like a felony stop.

The reason was that they wanted to search for wildlife violations. Wardens are allowed to operate outside of probable cause "when" acting on the interest of wildlife.

Everything was legal on (and in) my truck, we were not, nor had we been hunting or fishing. We did not have any visible, or hidden, hunting or fishing equipment. We were simply enjoying the afternoon in the mountains.

"Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye argued that the minor intrusion of a vehicle stop is outweighed by the need to protect wildlife and preserve it for future generations, arguing that the warden was functioning in the capacity of conservation, not criminal law enforcement."

• Angry
Reactions: longbowhunter2
I am well aware of F&G special search authority and I’m not trying to argue with you but to pull someone over on a public at random would be a waste of their time and they know that. And the only time you’ll ever see 5 or more wardens is when they are on a special operations assignment. It’s just very odd. Must have been your unlucky day.

Maybe they got a tip about someone who had a truck like yours but no plate number and were trying to get him

Reactions: WaterDog
I remember when Rangers were here to assist you as a hunter. I have had good conversation with some young fellas, and only asked if I had a hunting license said yes and showed. after that it was shoot the shit all was good, but one time archery hunting with my old partners, someone on the Native reservation took a shot, someone called it in and blamed it on hunters.
they did a road block two sheriffs, and two game wardens, the sheriffs just stood by, did not really interact with the hunters, however the older game warden was searching every ones vehicles without probable cause, the younger one just watched. this son of bitch tried to find a weapons' in truck and backpack, when he could not find any thing he tried to nail me for judo points on a couple of my arrows, I said to him, it's archery quail season. he said no it wasn't, the younger guy said I will verify it, he came back and said yes it is archery quail season. then the older guy started to say he smelled maryjane, that was it for me, I told him to his face he is full of shit and to get out my vehicle, what he smelled was pine needles, and sage. end of story. what a dumb shit.

• Wow
Reactions: Herson and sportyg
wow he just wanted to bust someone for what ever he could what a turd.. He was more then likely trying to impress the young guy at your expense but made a fool of himself instead

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu