Grilled venison with a balsamic reduction

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
So I was fortunate enough to be sent back with some elk and deer meat from my trip to Idaho at the beginning of the month. I did take some carne asada from down here to my wife's uncle so they were more then happy to send me with a care package. Last night I cooked up some white tail back strap steaks. I was inspired by a recipe from the new Meateater cook book. The original recipe is "Grilled venison over cauliflower puree with a balsamic reduction" I made a few slight adjustments. Instead of the puree I used mashed potatoes and then my wife made a side of green been casserole. It was one of the best meals I've had let alone made. Had no idea was a balsamic reduction was but super simple and delicious on the venison. After making elk burgers and now this my wife is now looking forward to me hunting more. So guess that's a great thing! Already planning my trip for this October to go back for elk season with her uncle.

Looks awesome and I know it tasted great too. That is my go to recipe for venison and I have done it with beef and it is excellent as well. I have a venison shoulder in the crock pot waiting for me to feast on it for dinner tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome Jorge!!!!
I will have to go visit some friends up in Shasta County, may be I am sentt back with some like they did last time I went there!!! LOL,
Venison burgers are very welcome within my clan. LOL

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
It was my first time even having venison and elk besides jerky so I was nervous making it for the wife but she's definitely a fan now. Even my 7yr digs it. Going to have to defrost the venison salami and try that out next.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

34fb6809a1ea8ce22bd5bad0aea43ffc.jpg

What’s left will make a few more sandwiches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horto, your presentation reminds me of a meal I had years ago at Convict Lake Resort in the sierras. They used to serve venison and it was prepared like yours and delicious.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu