Gun Build (Should I DIY?)

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
@NBK here is a non political post.

I have been mulling a new build. The toughest decision I have to make is caliber choice...I like all the Noslers, 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, 30-28 Nosler but in real world I do not shoot far enough to choose one of those over a boring 300 WM or 7 Rem Mag. Right now I am leaning toward 300 WM mainly because I have all the reloading supplies a 200 pieces of new Peterson brass.

I am in the process of ordering a nitrided Defiance ANTI action (LA Mag) paired with the brown granite proof research light weight mountain hunter stock.

As of now I am leaning towards the following so that the rifle is ~8 lb all in
Carbon Six 24" barrel with a 1-7" twist (for 30 cal)
Trigger...Timney Elite Hunter or Jewell
MBM 5 port Ti Beast
Hawkins rings, bottom metal, follower
Maven RS.5 4-24x50 Scope

Now here is the big kicker and what I am contemplating...Do I build / assemble the entire thing myself? If I go that route, I would would get the barrel prefit with the brake would be self timing.

The rifle would have significantly more meaning doing it myself...but also, FF does terrific work so why not go that route. Would love to hear thoughts??

FF did the custom job on my .260 Rem based off my Tikka action with Proof barrel and McMillan stock. COULD NOT BE HAPPIER with the outcome. It is a tack driver.

So, fwiw, my vote would be go the FF route.

I am planning another build (.280 AI) next year and once again FF will do the work.

If I do another build. I’m going the direction Punker67 went with the pre fit switch barrels. He’s getting good groups with the option of switching barrels while in the field. I really really like this setup.

If I do another build. I’m going the direction Punker67 went with the pre fit switch barrels. He’s getting good groups with the option of switching barrels while in the field. I really really like this setup.

For sure, that option is badass. But I already picked up the Defiance ANTI action (22 oz) and it seems that I would need the Zuess action for the barrel swap.

I still really like the idea of a 30-28 Nosler...oh how I wish choosing a caliber was easy. It does feel dumb buying another 300 WM to save a little over 1 lb when I already have a 300 WM that shoots 3/4" all day.

I should honestly sell all my guns but my 338 RUM and 6.5 PRC...but I have a problem.

I love the Zues switch barrel. I can swap calibers in a few minutes and order prefits with lots of options. I already ordered another one from LMFF. Might be ordering a 3rd one soon too

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu