Gun Safe recommendations

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
I’m the market for a decent safe. Hoping to stay right around $1000 or less. Anyone want to sell me on what they like or don’t like? Biggest concern for me is moisture as I live close to the ocean.

Most guys make the mistake of not getting enough safe. sooner or later you will likely need more room so keep that in mind. Every guy who has a safe has the "best one," I don't know if I do but Like it. You know what your present and future needs are so buy according. Make sure to get one with at least one hour fire rating. I personally like the ones with manual tumbler over digital, I'm old school. Buy wise.

Reactions: MAG 1
I have a liberty and it's served well. No safe is "safe" if someone wants in it bad enough. Placement is important as well, ie: not out where everyone sees it or knows about it. The sides are the weak part.

I've personally seen a "fire rated" safe with the door blown off when the house burned down around it. So, contents is an important consideration as well. I personally don't expect mine to hold up to a fire but it can't hurt right?

I have a CANNON safe love that thing electronic key pad. I've had both , key pad is just easier for me.
I just put paper in it because I don't own any guns.

Not sure where you live but ,if in general Lakewood, Long Beach area, get a real big safe, I might want to place some of my STUFF in it. You know, important documents and such.

I owned a really nice Homak that I won at a NRA dinner...Unfortunately, it went overboard, as I was sailing around the cape........ :blush:

Last edited:
Reactions: Muledeerhunter
I have a Cannon and a Browning. I really like both of hem. Just be careful readings the specs on them. For instance the Cannon safes at the big box stores are not the same as the ones from cannon. The ones at the box stores have lower ratings.

Reactions: MAG 1
I have a Cannon and a Browning. I really like both of hem. Just be careful readings the specs on them. For instance the Cannon safes at the big box stores are not the same as the ones from cannon. The ones at the box stores have lower ratings.
Or get two. I like it.

I got a 40 gun from tractor supply they seem to run the best deals. I would love to own a $5000 safe with all the bells and whistles but just can’t justify buying one to keep grandpas worn out 870 from the 70’s safe from an apocalyptic fire.

As mentioned above get a safe larger than you think you need and read the fire ratings. Digital versus mechanical tumbler is personal preference. I'm not a fan of my tumbler, but always laughed when my in-laws asked to borrow a 9volt every time they needed to open their digital when it was stored in my garage.

The battery for me seems to last about 18 months, but I only get in to put the tax forms away.

36 long guns..mostly shotguns for ducks and dove..maybe 1 or 2 rifles...LOL..and a few sidearms...( A guy can never have to many shotguns)..IMG_20210821_180526940~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dhntr48
If you chose to go with a key pad model, Always install and Amsec key pad, by far superior to the cheap ones they normally come with. A keypad goes bad you are out $$$$ and often have to cut open your safe.... buy and Amsec key pad for $200 easy to install yourself, and it’s great insurance

Also to increase the fire rating of any safe simply add more Hardi-backer. You know the stuff they lay down under tile.... that’s all the rating is based off of.

I just wanted to mention something in regards to fire rating. Unless you live in the sticks and there is a chance your house will burn to the ground without a drop of water being put on it that’s when I would worry about fire rating. I’ve shown up to garage fires where the roof has burnt through and the thing is ripping and the gun safe is just fine. Just my 2 cents. Even in the middle of the night we usually have water on garage fires pretty quickly. And if you think about it the garage is out front of your house. They are easy to get water onto fairly quick. So I don’t put an emphasis on fire rating as much for myself or the area I serve. If your closest fire station is 30 minutes out however you may want to reconsider.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu