Heavy metal turkey loads

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
Being in California and usually hunting turkey on rivers in northern Ca, I’ve always used left over duck loads in 3” 3s since lead wasn’t an option. Off the top of my head, I can recall 2 birds I “hit” and didn’t kill. I’ve killed maybe 10 big toms using steel 3” 3s duck loads.
I went to the local store and purchase heavy metal “turkey” loads in 3” and 3.5” steel #4s. I felt they were a good deal for “turkey” loads at $12/5 shells and wanted to try something new....

Will I run into any issues with these shells? Obviously they’re not tungsten or bismuth but they should have some knock down power on a turkey, yea?

Good luck
I would hate do go through all that work on a big tom and not be 100% confident in my shot when the time comes to pull the trigger. The steel will do fine close but will not carry the knock down power down range.

Being in California and usually hunting turkey on rivers in northern Ca, I’ve always used left over duck loads in 3” 3s since lead wasn’t an option. Off the top of my head, I can recall 2 birds I “hit” and didn’t kill. I’ve killed maybe 10 big toms using steel 3” 3s duck loads.
I went to the local store and purchase heavy metal “turkey” loads in 3” and 3.5” steel #4s. I felt they were a good deal for “turkey” loads at $12/5 shells and wanted to try something new....

Will I run into any issues with these shells? Obviously they’re not tungsten or bismuth but they should have some knock down power on a turkey, yea?
you're good

Personally, I would never shoot steel at turkeys...Will it kill them...Yep...So does a .410 at 20 yards (TSS .410 is probably better than 12 steel)...The problem is distance...You have a gobbler hung up at 40-50 yds...You're no doubt going to take the shot and then cross your fingers...Not a feeling I like...2 cents.

ps...I know of 2 turkeys that got away from the hunter last year...Both were shooting steel turkey loads.

Reactions: somekindofnick
Steve, what would you recommend that’s not $60 for a box is shells? Preferably something that could be found locally in San Diego?

Ps. I’ve been hunting private the last few years and all my birds were taken at or under 25 yards. BUT, you never know when you’ll come across that big Tom that’s hung up at 40+

Steve, what would you recommend that’s not $60 for a box is shells? Preferably something that could be found locally in San Diego?

Ps. I’ve been hunting private the last few years and all my birds were taken at or under 25 yards. BUT, you never know when you’ll come across that big Tom that’s hung up at 40+

3" Hevi-Shot Blend....$35.00 a box, if you can find it....If you're shooting them that close (over decoys?)...Then that turkey steel is probably OK...Fortunately, I bought a lot of Hevi-Shot Heavy 18, when BPS was blowing it out...10 bucks a box.

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
I have never been interested in sport huntung a turkey as I have no interest in them (I have called many in for others) but I have killed hundreds of waterfowl with hybrid shot and I have taken my now older young stepsons to good kills on turkeys on our ranch over the years as well as telling folks that I used to let hunt the property when the birds were thick back then and what it would take to put one down. IMO if you get past about 30 yards with standard loads you are taking a risk. if you get past that without using lots of money load wise, chokes and science and patterning you are taking a risk . I have seen my stepsons kill like them like no ones business with 20 guage and nickel plated # 5 lead shot before the ban on lead came in at less than 20 yards and a little more . Stone dead and wings just kicking up dirt as they layed on their side with the head full of shot.. Get em close and you will have no problem. Getting them close IMO is the best part from my experience...

I’ve always liked the idea of a good bow and a guillotine.

If you have shot 10 turkeys with steel you started using it before it was a requirement or shot a few extra lol. Did you buy Heavy Metal? That has a lot of size 7-9 heavier than lead pellets in with the steel 4's and would have a much denser pattern.

I’ve shot all my turkeys with stew duck loads, 3” 3s. Yes, they were shot before it was a requirement as I was hunting a river which required non-toxic shells. All in the decoys and no further than 30yards. I found these shells just to try out an actual “turkey load” since they were $12/box. I don’t think they’re a blend or anything special, the box states non-toxic #4 shot.

I’ve shot all my turkeys with stew duck loads, 3” 3s. Yes, they were shot before it was a requirement as I was hunting a river which required non-toxic shells. All in the decoys and no further than 30yards. I found these shells just to try out an actual “turkey load” since they were $12/box. I don’t think they’re a blend or anything special, the box states non-toxic #4 shot.
To make a performance shotshell at an everyday pricepoint, we start with our premium steel pellets, then use Pattern Density Technology™ to layer in HEVI-Shot® pellets. HEVI-Metal® has a higher proportion of HEVI-Shot® pellets than HEVI-Metal® waterfowl shotshells, so a 1-1⁄4 oz HEVI-Metal® Turkey shell has 263 pellets – about as many as a lead #4 shotshell with nearly 2 oz of shot (273 pellets)! Since the HEVI-Metal® Turkey load will pattern better than the lead load, you are much more likely to get your turkey with this inexpensive shotshell than you are with a traditional lead shotshell at any normal yardage. The maximized pellet count fills in your shot pattern, to help you bag your Tom every time. Because you didn’t come this far to miss!

Proudly Made In USA

SHOT DENSITY: 30% Bismuth 9.6 g/cc layered over 70% Steel 7.8 g/cc​

BOX PACK: 5​

CASE PACK: 10​

To make a performance shotshell at an everyday pricepoint, we start with our premium steel pellets, then use Pattern Density Technology™ to layer in HEVI-Shot® pellets. HEVI-Metal® has a higher proportion of HEVI-Shot® pellets than HEVI-Metal® waterfowl shotshells, so a 1-1⁄4 oz HEVI-Metal® Turkey shell has 263 pellets – about as many as a lead #4 shotshell with nearly 2 oz of shot (273 pellets)! Since the HEVI-Metal® Turkey load will pattern better than the lead load, you are much more likely to get your turkey with this inexpensive shotshell than you are with a traditional lead shotshell at any normal yardage. The maximized pellet count fills in your shot pattern, to help you bag your Tom every time. Because you didn’t come this far to miss!

Proudly Made In USA

SHOT DENSITY: 30% Bismuth 9.6 g/cc layered over 70% Steel 7.8 g/cc​

BOX PACK: 5​

CASE PACK: 10​

Nice marketing..."PREMIUM steel pellets", "Pattern DENSITY Technology", "patterns BETTER than lead", "INEXPENSIVE shotshell", "At any NORMAL yardage", "bag your gobbler EVERY time", "I didn't come this FAR to miss".

The one element of turkey hunting I won't cheap out on ($11.00 vs $35.00)...lol

You can still buy the older 15cc tungsten federal heavyweight from rogers for $15. They only have 2 3/4 left but I'd use that over steel in 3".
* edit * Actually there is a rebate so it's only $13

You can still buy the older 15cc tungsten federal heavyweight from rogers for $15. They only have 2 3/4 left but I'd use that over steel in 3".
* edit * Actually there is a rebate so it's only $13

Thanks for sharing, Steve....Great deal....And they're way, way better than any steel

Primos Jellyhead….665
Is your jelly head the maximum? Or TSS? Can’t seem to find .665 on their website. I’m looking to get one for my Monte. Looks like the .650 is the only construction for Benelli crio though?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu