Help! Salton sea

seanmichael41

Aug 2, 2020
Looking to hunt the Salton Sea this season. Wanted to look into what everyone uses and why they recommend. I’ve met a few people over the years that hunted him it of kayaks, smaller Jon boat and bigger 20’ boats. I know just how scary and serious the mud and wind can be out on the sea, which is why I wanted to see people that hunt the seas input

s41,

The Salton Sea has dropped dramatically...It is tough to even launch a boat...ANYWHERE...Kayaks or shallow drafting jon boats are probably your best bet...Scouting is going to be your key...Old areas change and many times, new spots are created.

Be smart about hunting the perimeter...If there's bubbles coming up, even in shallow water, go around it...Underwater mud pots are very common...And I have lots of stories of friends that barely made it...I suggest hunting with a partner as well.

This mud pot was in Y16A-2 at Wister...Spoonie Bay just 4 years ago...Looks nothing like that now.

.028.JPG009.JPG

Reactions: Dawnandusk
s41,

The Salton Sea has dropped dramatically...It is tough to even launch a boat...ANYWHERE...Kayaks or shallow drafting jon boats are probably your best bet...Scouting is going to be your key...Old areas change and many times, new spots are created.

Be smart about hunting the perimeter...If there's bubbles coming up, even in shallow water, go around it...Underwater mud pots are very common...And I have lots of stories of friends that barely made it...I suggest hunting with a partner as well.

This mud pot was in Y16A-2 at Wister...Spoonie Bay just 4 years ago...Looks nothing like that now.

.View attachment 45168View attachment 45169
Wow.. look at the launch. Not so overgrown as it is now.

Nothing like hunting over volcanic vents.......wonder why it eats your truck frame so quickly?

Looking to hunt the Salton Sea this season. Wanted to look into what everyone uses and why they recommend. I’ve met a few people over the years that hunted him it of kayaks, smaller Jon boat and bigger 20’ boats. I know just how scary and serious the mud and wind can be out on the sea, which is why I wanted to see people that hunt the seas input
All of the above. The guys that have established blinds hit it in jon boats with long tail mud motors. Everyone else does a mix of other boats, kayaks, canoes, and ATVs around the shore. I used to be a canoe guy, now I use a layout boat to hide in the tules, or I'll beach it and stash it in the bush.
20191005_101851.jpg

All of the above. The guys that have established blinds hit it in jon boats with long tail mud motors. Everyone else does a mix of other boats, kayaks, canoes, and ATVs around the shore. I used to be a canoe guy, now I use a layout boat to hide in the tules, or I'll beach it and stash it in the bush.
View attachment 45183
Is that a beavertail phantom? I was looking into getting one but haven’t heard or seen many review. How do you like it?

Is that a beavertail phantom? I was looking into getting one but haven’t heard or seen many review. How do you like it?
Pros: Its concealable, has a transom easy to link with a trolling motor, super stable, and comfy to layout in.

Cons: It's a slug in the water, and I'm a fairly strong paddler. If I didn't have a motor on it I wouldn't get far, since I'm loaded down with decoys, a battery, and my 200 lb self. Also awkward to carry and harder to toss on my truck than a yak.

Overall, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably look for a small yak or one of those Nucanoes. But for the price and ease of setup, it's not bad for now.

Pros: Its concealable, has a transom easy to link with a trolling motor, super stable, and comfy to layout in.

Cons: It's a slug in the water, and I'm a fairly strong paddler. If I didn't have a motor on it I wouldn't get far, since I'm loaded down with decoys, a battery, and my 200 lb self. Also awkward to carry and harder to toss on my truck than a yak.

Overall, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably look for a small yak or one of those Nucanoes. But for the price and ease of setup, it's not bad for now.
What size motor?

You want a Jon boat, they are easy to fall into while sliding it to the waters edge when you are stuck in the mud and fairly comfortable to kick it in while waiting for the helicopter to rescue you. don't forget your phone.
just saying!

Just curious. I get the impression that most answering the OP here seem to be talking about the south end of the sea, like in the general area of Wister. Many years ago (around 40+) I tried hunting around the north end where the Whitewater River comes into the sea. Didn't do any good as I recall and being that long ago I'm sure it's much different now. Anybody ever do any good at that end of the sea?

Think the north end is all reservation land?

My old airboat used to run the sea. Had the rust to prove it

682.JPG

One of my hybrid NL layout boats would work good. Mine moves along good with the weed whacker motor i made.

You want a Jon boat, they are easy to fall into while sliding it to the waters edge when you are stuck in the mud and fairly comfortable to kick it in while waiting for the helicopter to rescue you. don't forget your phone.
just saying!

I read an article not long ago about the north end that with the water receding it Trapped a lot of water and created a completely new wetland habitat on the north end that was actually supporting species of plants that could not survive in the saltier water of the main body. I think it was catching and trapping more freshwater before it entered the main body. The article was about ducks being drawn to the plants, will have to see if I can find it. Probably not an area that can be hunted in though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu