Henshaw ?

bohdi

Dec 20, 2016
Did anyone hunt lake Henshaw this year? Do they still allow waterfowl hunting? I’m not looking to cyber scout as I don’t live in SD anymore but I have very fond memories of hunting there and curious how things are.

For the 1st time in many, many years I did not hunt Henshaw.....The lake level was sucked down in October and it never recovered with no rain in Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan.....Virtually no food and so the widgeon just didn't stay....To my knowledge there was only one limit taken during the season and that was on the opener......Believe it or not, but there were days where there were no hunters.

.025.JPG

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
For the 1st time in many, many years I did not hunt Henshaw.....The lake level was sucked down in October and it never recovered with no rain in Oct, Nov, Dec, and Jan.....Virtually no food and so the widgeon just didn't stay....To my knowledge there was only one limit taken during the season and that was on the opener......Believe it or not, but there were days where there were no hunters.

.View attachment 34708

Wow that’s really surprising. I remember in the 90s there were a few years the water was extremely low but we still managed to kill a ducks. You’re right and if there isn’t any grass on the shore the wigeon won’t stay. Hopefully it rebounds next year for you all. I haven’t hunted henshaw in 13 years but even to this day sitting in duck blind my mind sometimes wanders to laying in that freezing henshaw mud and picturing the wigeon gliding in from the middle of the lake.

Picture of my dad and I at the Shaw I think around ‘95 or ‘96. 5cc1e8e6ad8f61a2388b07feef16b1ed.jpg

Present day (not the Shaw)54ca3251c4a0e7a9f7ede29b9fbef156.jpg

Wow that’s really surprising. I remember in the 90s there were a few years the water was extremely low but we still managed to kill a ducks. You’re right and if there isn’t any grass on the shore the wigeon won’t stay. Hopefully it rebounds next year for you all. I haven’t hunted henshaw in 13 years but even to this day sitting in duck blind my mind sometimes wanders to laying in that freezing henshaw mud and picturing the wigeon gliding in from the middle of the lake.

Picture of my dad and I at the Shaw I think around ‘95 or ‘96. View attachment 34720

Present day (not the Shaw)View attachment 34721
Hows your dad? I remember you guys at Brians birthday party at his parents house on Cole Grade.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu