High Power Bino's for hunting

Should I? See my explanation below before voting.

• Switch to a larger spotter?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Drewski2324

Sep 26, 2013
Ventura County by way of Idaho
Is anyone using high powered binos (15X +) along with standard binos for hunting? Right now I use the Vortex Razor 10x50 binos along with the Razor 11-33x50 spotter. The problem i'm having at longer range, 1 mile +, is im spotting more game with my binos than i am with my spotter. I hunt big country here in CA and in Idaho and usually put in 6-10 miles per day so weight is an issue.

I know my spotter is small in comparison to most but the weight is the real draw as that spotter is only 25oz. I feel like I may be missing animals that would be found with either a higher magnification bino set or higher magnification & bigger objective spotter.

I would love a good Swaro BTX but $5k financially it's just not in the cards.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Far better long range hunters on this board than I am. For years I was an ambush hunter. And it was a waiting game, seriously no movement and patience. (Which I really lack now).
My thoughts on your predicament is your going to fast. Granted in the big open country the name of the game is scanning for movement. And patience. The equipment you have should be more than adequate.
After a while one starts to get it.
Where are the deer. And how to find them. Just like anything it takes years before it becomes second nature. I lost that for while. But it's
Like riding a bike. In other words
In the areas with deer. Stop take a break and scan, then scan again.
It will happen.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: Drewski2324
Walking around I use the 10x42’s. Sitting I use the 10x42’s on the tripod out to 800-1,000 yards. After that I switch to the 15x56’s they get me out to over a mile.
Anymore I only use the spotter if I’m in a situation that I can carry it. So if I’m backpacking the spotter is out.
The big advantage of the 15’s over the spotter is the amount of time you can stay in the glass. I can look in my 15’s for 30-40 minutes at a time easily. I don’t think I can look through the spotter for maybe 10 minutes without resting. The 15’s allow me to glass a lot more area than I could with the spotter.
Also they are wider field of view
I have also compared the 15’s and my spotter at last light. They are about equal as far as light gathering if the spotter is set at low power. If you turn the spotter up over 20 power (I have the Vortex 16x48x65 Razor) and the spotter becomes almost useless. So I don’t see much advantage as far as power settings at last light or first light. (When you need it most) Obviously the spotter has a power advantage if you have enough light. But generally by then most animals will be bedded.

Walking around I use the 10x42’s. Sitting I use the 10x42’s on the tripod out to 800-1,000 yards. After that I switch to the 15x56’s they get me out to over a mile.
Anymore I only use the spotter if I’m in a situation that I can carry it. So if I’m backpacking the spotter is out.
The big advantage of the 15’s over the spotter is the amount of time you can stay in the glass. I can look in my 15’s for 30-40 minutes at a time easily. I don’t think I can look through the spotter for maybe 10 minutes without resting. The 15’s allow me to glass a lot more area than I could with the spotter.
Also they are wider field of view
I have also compared the 15’s and my spotter at last light. They are about equal as far as light gathering if the spotter is set at low power. If you turn the spotter up over 20 power (I have the Vortex 16x48x65 Razor) and the spotter becomes almost useless. So I don’t see much advantage as far as power settings at last light or first light. (When you need it most) Obviously the spotter has a power advantage if you have enough light. But generally by then most animals will be bedded.

Do you think 18x56 would be too high of magnification during low light conditions?

Thing is Truduct and Lungpopper are definite pros and know what they are advising.
Here is my take on the whole power of glass.
As amateur astronomer here my take, (related but exactly)
With my binos I can look at the night sky and see a wider field of view.
Yet clear if there no light pollution or
Atmosphere interference.
I can spot a lot more deep space objects but can not easily see what. They are. But I record the location by triangulation.
Ok bring out the heavy optics. Which by the way is not used by power. But by the diameter of the optics and the magnification. The clearer the optics plus the larger it is the it let's faint light visible.
In order to find the object with out computer control I use a spotting scope. The once aligned I use the telescope.
And as so kindly advise by Lungpopper in his previous post
Use the bino to spot parts of deer
I look for ears, some look for the butt, and so on. Then use the more power to see what it is.
The point of the long post is this.
Less power gives you more field of view, higher magnification less field of view. I scan and spot an object then I use higher to view it.
Same for deer.
The deal is I have been successful
At know where the deer hang out
And how I approach that area.
The terrain, the weather, the time of day, and most of all the wind.
In other words the approach.
I am just not that great at hiking
Any more. So that is a big problem.

I run 10s and 15s on tripod also. My 15s are the Vortex Vulture. Fairly inexpensive, but has served me very well. I can glass all day with minimal breaks. I freaking Love my setup. My only gripe is I wish someone made 15x60s. I used to run a vanguard 82hd spotter. The spotter was okay, but nothing like my 15s. I would only buy a spotter if you have high quality binos. If you really want a spotter, focus your attention on something that is above $2K.

Last edited:
I run 10s and 15s on tripod also. My 15s are the Vortex Vulture. Fairly inexpensive, but has served me very well. I can glass all day with minimal breaks. I freaking Love my setup. My only gripe is I wish someone made 15x60s. I used to run a vanguard 82hd spotter. The spotter was okay, but nothing like my 15s. I would only buy a spotter if you have high quality binos. If you really want a spotter, focus your attention on something that is above $2K.

Are you happy with the Vultures? I was also considering the Kaibabs but they exit pupil on those is a little smaller despite the better glass.

I run 8x Leica's and 15x Swaros. This combo (for me) works amazing. Next investment is the 95mm BTX's. You can stay in them for hours!

Man I really want those BTX's. Definitely on the all time want list.

Great example got out tonight. Glassed up 3 doe bedded about 3/4 mile away with the 15s. Grabbed my 10s and could not see them bedded. So to confirm your question yes you are missing deer. If I didn’t have the 15s I would not have seen those deer.
Side note pretty sure all bucks have gone underground in SD. It’s fun glassing up and watching deer but man I am dying to see a rack.

Do 15's need to be on a tri-pod, or can they be... lets say in my UTV pack and bust them out to do some quick desert scanning? Anyone have the Vultures HD vortex, any reviews on them? Great thread by the way.

Do 15's need to be on a tri-pod, or can they be... lets say in my UTV pack and bust them out to do some quick desert scanning? Anyone have the Vultures HD vortex, any reviews on them? Great thread by the way.
Because of the low field view it needs to be steady.
The above post got my interest in the reviews between votex razor vs the swaro SLC. It has a slight advantage sunrise and sunset low level. Razor has slightly larger field of view but have slightly aberration on the edges. And the contrast colors are slightly better at low light.
But are almost double in price.
It's a personal choice, and pocket book ability.
Best
Longbow
P.S. forgot to add no noticible difference during daylight hours.
According to the reviews.

Last edited:
Also want to state just night viewing with a high magnification. It's imperative that the tripod must be rock solid with no movement or vibration. And it is nearly impossible to be used by hand, due to the very low field of view.
I think it is more how steady and young your eyes are. Or maybe I had
20/30 vision I could spot movement
With my eyes with out optics. Then zoom in with optics.
Back then I could spot stuff between a mile or mile and 1/2.
With my eyes. Maybe I missed some.
Who knows.

if you have some Jim Shockey shooting sticks that will work for quick scanning. When I hunted sheep this year we walked 10-18 miles a day and would glass standing up using 15's on top of the shooting sticks. It was my first time doing this but it was effective and we found sheep almost every day. Other then that mine are on a tri-pod with a pan head. They have to be resting on something or you will go crazy.
If I had an ATV that I wanted to glass from I would rig something up that attached to handle bars or something like that.

I have commend everyone , Drewski, Lungpopper, Truduct, Klxracer, NBK,
Everyone excuse me if I miss someone.
It really is a good topic. Excellent post by everyone. Our opinions and philosophy may be different. But hay that is what makes it actually positive. It really makes the brain think. How can we do it better.
Who knows the future. Wars have been won and lost because one had better technology. But remember not to lose that Lost art of old fashion techniques. If I sounded as a possible pompous ass that's Ok.
Engineers are that way. We normally
Want data or facts. That's the way we are, especially when lives are at stake. Measure 3 times cut once.
I myself have to step back and listen what folk are saying works for them.
As a retired engineer that has made me a better person and engineer.
Listening more and talk less.
Listen to actual people's real life experience.
Thank you all.
Longbow

Reactions: msailor

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu