Hog hunting in Paso Robles?

ke1234567

Jul 24, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA
Anyone ever hunt (bow or rifle) for feral/wild hogs in Paso? Not asking for hunting spots, just want to know if it's worth it to drive up from Los Angeles for a long weekend in Jan/Feb to bow hunt for a hog. Thanks.

Hogs on private...kick down some cash and hire a guide, i hate guides, or get out to ligett and roam with everyone else...

Thanks, was hoping for local public...or at least in Cali. I'm already planning a trip to TX. Good friend has a friend with large range (200 acres?) and we have the green light for hogs. Waiting to hear back if he's okay with us going for white tail.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
When I use to hunt in Ca. I hunted at Hunter Ligget and with guided hunts. Ligget hunts about eight times and only saw one pig, it was hanging at wildlife check in station. On guided hunts which totaled four hunts, I got four nice pigs. Ligget at best is a long shot. You never know if you are going to get a hunt and if you do, it's iffy if you will get one of the few areas know to hold pigs. I tried to get the area down by the river but ended up in area 16, which is fine if you are after turkey but the likely hood of seeing pig in that area is at best, remote. Unless you have access to private property, for my money you are far better off using a paid guide. Most guides give guaranteed hunts, meaning you will see pigs and get a fair shot. If you don't you get a free return hunt. Now days I refuse to spend one cent of my money hunting in Ca. Remember this state does not want anything to do with hunters or gun owners for that matter.

Reactions: ke1234567
When I use to hunt in Ca. I hunted at Hunter Ligget and with guided hunts. Ligget hunts about eight times and only saw one pig, it was hanging at wildlife check in station. On guided hunts which totaled four hunts, I got four nice pigs. Ligget at best is a long shot. You never know if you are going to get a hunt and if you do, it's iffy if you will get one of the few areas know to hold pigs. I tried to get the area down by the river but ended up in area 16, which is fine if you are after turkey but the likely hood of seeing pig in that area is at best, remote. Unless you have access to private property, for my money you are far better off using a paid guide. Most guides give guaranteed hunts, meaning you will see pigs and get a fair shot. If you don't you get a free return hunt. Now days I refuse to spend one cent of my money hunting in Ca. Remember this state does not want anything to do with hunters or gun owners for that matter.
That's because Cali is now land of "Demoncrats"

Gundoglover and cadeerhunter, couldn't agree more. Yeah, some of my friends and I discussed Sonoma Lake. I think chances are low. I also may have free access to a ranch in Central, TX (friend of a very good friend). Whitetail and hog. I'm actually waiting to hear from him so I can determine whether to use my "equity" (with the wife) to make a TX trip next year.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu