Hot weather deer

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
Hi all,

Last year I struggled to find any deer in the hot weather. Any tips for the new guys on deer behavior when it’s really hot and dry out?

A22 and D16 tags on-hand so I can mix it up if needed. My plan is to hit a tree stand hard with the bow. If that doesn’t play out in the first few weeks, I thought I’d change it up and maybe camp out with the 25-06 rifle.

Very very excited for this season. I was able to get my first turkey (public land) in the spring. Tagging a deer would be outstanding so I’m planning on putting in just as much work as turkey season took.

Good luck!

Last edited:
CL757,

I'd start right where you bagged that spring gobbler...Turkeys & deer are like ham & cheese.

If you're hunting an area like SFWA...Then you glass the sumacs and any rock outcrops that provide shade...Thicker stuff provides more shade, but the north facing slopes could be the ticket.

Scouting is always the key....Good luck

.027.JPG

CL757,

I'd start right where you bagged that spring gobbler...Turkeys & deer are like ham & cheese.

If you're hunting an area like SFWA...Then you glass the sumacs and any rock outcrops that provide shade...Thicker stuff provides more shade, but the north facing slopes could be the ticket.

Scouting is always the key....Good luck

.View attachment 45316

appreciate the response and suggestion. The tree I plan to setup on has had consistent doe and 1-2 bucks cross through. I was planning on hitting that tree all season. If it doesn’t plan out, I’ll move to more open spots and put the rifle into rotation.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu