Hot Weather Tips

KThor

Mar 11, 2019
Orange County
Hi all,

Anyone got some good tips for hunting in the desert when it is still hot as heck? Going to D12 this weekend for archery opener and forecast is triple digits. Other than staying home, what do you think?

im no buck hunter..but my first guess would be water and food source? nasty temps to be buck hunting IN...but if you have good AC in the truck...it sure beats staying home with the wife and or kids...UGGH!!

im no buck hunter..but my first guess would be water and food source? nasty temps to be buck hunting IN...but if you have good AC in the truck...it sure beats staying home with the wife and or kids...UGGH!!
Plenty of food and water on the ag land next door

you cant kill anything from the recliner.

i spent a lot of time trying to spike a buck out by paloverde. freaking deer walk far in the dark to eat and sleep. they would bed up a mile away from the farm land

Go!..I'm going tomorrow.
This is what I did last year.
Manage your water intake, running out of water while ways out is really scary, it happened to me last year and it was brutal, look for shade anywhere and glass more and hike less, move slow, wear a hood for shade, salted & sweet snacks give you a little boost, try to breath thru your nose, your mouth gets dry fast otherways.
Headaches are warnings...
Be safe and good luck!

Reactions: dhntr48
I have always worn loose long sleeves and an under shirt out there, keeps you from loosing so much water, drink lots of water and work the shade.

Good luck out there Kohl.

I've spent many seasons in D-12 in the past. The deer are few and far between and the one I did get was no trophy. There is also a subspecies called burro deer that are very small and hard to find as well. D-12 is tough and even tougher with weather and what has always been low counts. The land cannot support much in the way of wildlife even with agriculture or the river close by because the deer become aware of the presence of humans and their time tables and become nocturnal. I spent many years walking away from my truck before daylight and covering miles and not returning until dark with many miles covered. I saw plenty of sign but not many shootable specimens. The best report I ever heard was from a fellow named Jacob Keppler who owned T&H meats in San Marcos and who had a butcher shop in Brawley in the 80's. He told me once that he took a low level helicopter flight over D-12 and they flushed a lot of deer but it was very spaced out as to where they found them. Can't imagine trying to get one with a bow out there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu