How did you guys do on Upland Opener?

Smokey58

May 10, 2018
My brother, a buddy and me hunted with 2 dogs west of Barstow. We beat ourselves to a pulp and finally around 2:30 me Dog Smokey slammed a point on a small covey of desert quail. I took 2, my buddy 1 and my brother 2 big Jack Rabbits. My brother says he is going to use a Sicilian braising recipe on this Jacks, we'll see how they come out. Unfortunately no sightings nor a peep out of Chukar. Debriefed a bunch of hunters patrolling the area and they were empty handed.

5 quail and a trout. Ovens Valley.

First half of the day I wasted marching over the lava field looking for chukar cause I heard them there in the spring. Then spent time trying to get some singles of quail right outside of it to flush and they just wouldn't. I could tell they were still all around me holding tight. Even called one in that turned tail at the glimpse of me but those birds would not flush. I decided it was too dense right there and bushes were set up too much in the birds favor and left them. Went down in the valley and found a large covey of probably 50-70 birds. I downed 6 birds but the first one I should not of shot as it was over extremely thick rabbitbrush. The moment I got over to the area the bird went down I knew there was about a 1% chance of finding it by myself, the 1% turned out to be 0%. Hooked a trout while I was waiting for my camera to charge back up. Not bad considering both spots I had never hunted before. Explored up a new canyon on the way back. Didn't see anything but found a spring.

I found a covey of mountain quail on the deer opener last weekend, I might go back and try to find them later in the season.

Hopefully not lead.. don't want to hurt any condors! Sorry, dunno what's worse at this point, the lead ban or the ammo background checks...
All lead, all the time. Refuse to hunt Ca. The two points you made, which is worst. Hang on Margret, it's going to get much worst.

Friday I went to the New York mountains and spent the night , hunted all day, walked 6 miles and did not see one bird and all the other guys said they did not see any at all . So I bailed early Sunday morning headed back home . Thought I would try a spot on the way back home . I hit my spot I did about 1/2 loop thru some grass lands . I Jumped two coveys , both about 30 birds , about 200 feet apart . I got 7 valley Quail , 5 of the birds were young with no top not or very little . Late for young birds I was thinking . But a positive sign . I cant wait to get back out !

Was fortunate enough to take a walk with my shotgun on Saturday for a couple of hours. Ran into a covey of about 20 birds but missed a couple of shots. Had to get back home or I would have kept on chasing them. Fun day in the field regardless. Can't wait to get back out! On another note, still pretty much a noob to posting on here...haven't posted on here in years so hello! Been a busy last few years with not much hunting so it was nice to get back out there. Looking forward to a good season.
78911004e4804d47f11dcbaaf0aa69b8.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Was fortunate enough to take a walk with my shotgun on Saturday for a couple of hours. Ran into a covey of about 20 birds but missed a couple of shots. Had to get back home or I would have kept on chasing them. Fun day in the field regardless. Can't wait to get back out! On another note, still pretty much a noob to posting on here...haven't posted on here in years so hello! Been a busy last few years with not much hunting so it was nice to get back out there. Looking forward to a good season.
78911004e4804d47f11dcbaaf0aa69b8.jpg

Nice day for chasing quail. Great scenery too. What kind of gun do you shoot?

Reactions: dhntr48
Nice day for chasing quail. Great scenery too. What kind of gun do you shoot?
Yeah, such a nice day out there. Couldn't ask for a better opener weather-wise. It's a Yildiz 12 ga. Pretty light for a 12 ga. O/U and was cheap...great combo for tripping over every rock and root out there and banging it around haha

Ah.. my buddy in TX bought one from Academy and loved it.
Yeah, I definitely like the gun a lot. Only bummer is, Academy is the only place that can sell them in the US, and those shops aren't anywhere near San Diego. Luckily they're pretty easy to find on GunBroker

Yeah, I definitely like the gun a lot. Only bummer is, Academy is the only place that can sell them in the US, and those shops aren't anywhere near San Diego. Luckily they're pretty easy to find on GunBroker

Yep. I've been looking at the CZ Upland Ultralights and Franchi Instincts as well. But after getting my Benelli SBE3 this summer, I'm certain my wife has advised every gun store not to sell me anything.

Yep. I've been looking at the CZ Upland Ultralights and Franchi Instincts as well. But after getting my Benelli SBE3 this summer, I'm certain my wife has advised every gun store not to sell me anything.
I hear ya! That CZ Upland looks great...was going to check that out and the Stevens 555 in a 20, as well as look into that SBE!...cause, why not right?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu