How do you prepare dove

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
After seeing ivhunter living in dove land and not liking them thought it would be a good subject

For me I cut them off the bone then soak them overnight in water with a little salt to leach the blood out of the meat.

After that I use some port wine with garlic s&p and some type of herb. Let it soak for a few hours then shiska bob them with onions mushrooms and a pepper of some sort.

Another is taking them after the salt/water soak, rinse and submerge them in a roasting pan with heated turkey drippings cook at 350 for 10-20 minutes

Dove can have a strong flavor so use big flavored sauces to cook or marinade

MJB said:
After seeing ivhunter living in dove land and not liking them thought it would be a good subject

For me I cut them off the bone then soak them overnight in water with a little salt to leach the blood out of the meat.

After that I use some port wine with garlic s&p and some type of herb. Let it soak for a few hours then shiska bob them with onions mushrooms and a pepper of some sort.

Another is taking them after the salt/water soak, rinse and submerge them in a roasting pan with heated turkey drippings cook at 350 for 10-20 minutes

Dove can have a strong flavor so use big flavored sauces to cook or marinade

That's terrific recipe

Ghost

Leave them on the bone, saltwater soak, wrap them in bacon and marinade in teriyaki sauce overnight. Throw them on the bbq until the bacon is cooked. Perfection wouldn't eat it any other way

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I cut the breast off the bone, brown it in oil, then braise them in 1/2 stock, 1/2 beer or wine for about 2 hours. Then shred and mix into a second pot of black beans, sauteed onions and garlic, and crushed tomatoes. Dove black bean chili!

I still have a dozen euro breasts in the freezer from last year. Going to thaw them and try a carne asada marinade (if they still look good). For that I do 1 beer, juice of 1-2 oranges, about 1 cup of salsa, chopped cilantro and garlic, and 1-2 tbsp each of paprika, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Marinate for 2 days and then grill.

Keep them coming......

I once did the port wine marinade then chopped them up then stuffed some Jalopenos and grilled with some cheese in side damn good.

First I salt water brine em for a couple days to draw some blood out. Then I soak em in my all-purpose marinade: soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar, fresh garlic. Grill em (always charcoal) and baste em as they go. Bacon on top sometimes if I have it.

On the day of our duck hunting get together, a friend brought over some euro doves......They had been rubbed with Kansas City rub and put on skews. I added KC Masterpiece bbq sauce and bbq's them.....It was like eating beef sticks at the fair..... ;D

All-time favorite is 1/2 a dove breast, water chestnut (for the crunch factor), and wrapped in bacon on a skew.....Add favorite bbq sauce and bbq....One bite per piece.... ;)

We have also use fresh jalapenos in replacement of the water chestnut.....HOT!..... :mad:

Attachments

• DSCF0509.JPG
    DSCF0509.JPG
    734.2 KB · Views: 29
Always done mine in a brine. Used Italian dressing many times. Almost always do poppers with bacon, jalapeño, and a cream cheese / sour cream topper. Going to try some new recipes this year if they last.

To cool the hot peppers down remove seeds and the white veins......and don't take a leak after you clean the peppers:)

Here is a little sneak peak:

P.S. this is my first time hunting dove and this is my first attempt at cooking them as well!!!!!

Soaked all breasts for five hours in salt water

Dinner tonight: half the breasts got put on top of a jalapeño stuffed with cream cheese then wrapped in bacon (half are getting a BBQ rub sauce)

Tomorrow nights: dove breast wrapped in bacon with a piece of yellow and red pepper inside marinated over night in teriyaki and soy sauce !!!!!!!

Remember this is my first attempt at this and the first time i have killed a bird happened about ten hours ago!!
These are before photos

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
8SteelTown said:
Always done mine in a brine. Used Italian dressing many times. Almost always do poppers with bacon, jalapeño, and a cream cheese / sour cream topper. Going to try some new recipes this year if they last.

How do you cook them, in the oven? For how long? They look awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

MasterBlaster66T said:
8SteelTown said:

I haven't cooked them in the oven yet. Always worry I'll overlook them or the bacon won't get crispy fast enough. I cook them just like I cook bacon. To each their own but I cut the bacon down to 1/2 or 1/3 strips so I'm not overlapping more than a connection spot. Medium heat each side for a couple minutes. You want the bacon to be taking the form of how it's laid out so it doesn't lift away and seperate. Get the edges too, just to render some of the fat but don't over cook from the sides. The bacon should be part crispy part chewy. I do a topper of cream cheese / sour cream so it doesn't all ooze out while cooking.

8SteelTown said:
MasterBlaster66T said:
8SteelTown said:

I haven't cooked them in the oven yet. Always worry I'll overlook them or the bacon won't get crispy fast enough. I cook them just like I cook bacon. To each their own but I cut the bacon down to 1/2 or 1/3 strips so I'm not overlapping more than a connection spot. Medium heat each side for a couple minutes. You want the bacon to be taking the form of how it's laid out so it doesn't lift away and seperate. Get the edges too, just to render some of the fat but don't over cook from the sides. The bacon should be part crispy part chewy. I do a topper of cream cheese / sour cream so it doesn't all ooze out while cooking.
Ok, so the dove is supposed to be under the bacon and above the pepper and vice versa and just on the frying pan, got it, I hope. Thanks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu