How to Start?

GoodKarma

Jul 2, 2017
Hello everyone. I have decided to start my hunting habbit one year after joining. i would like to ask a few questions to get started.

- i have a hunters safety permit from when i was 10 or so (location unknown). how do i get a new one printed?
- is there a good app or site to do practice questions for it so i can brush up on it?
- buying a license should be done at what time of year? (i hear mid year)
- is there a good app or site to see where jackrabbits can be: hunted at what time of year, with what gun, and tag limit?
( note the last one is not just for rabbits)

thx guys

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hello everyone. I have decided to start my hunting habbit one year after joining. i would like to ask a few questions to get started.

- i have a hunters safety permit from when i was 10 or so (location unknown). how do i get a new one printed?
- is there a good app or site to do practice questions for it so i can brush up on it?
- is there a good app or site to see where jackrabbits can be: hunted at what time of year, with what gun, and tag limit?

thx guys

Welcome to SCH. To (try) answering your questions..

1. Not sure if your hunter's safety expires. You may want to see if they'll honor it and try buying a license (proceed until denied).

2. Look at the CDFW Hunter's Ed page.

3. Any time of year, but know that licenses run from 1 July to 30 June. The big game tag draw deadline is 2 June. So it sort of depends on what species you're wanting to hunt and the timing of the year.

4. No app or site.. jacks can be hunted year round no limit. Shotguns, rimfire rifles, airguns and even bows are popular means of take. No tag system to speak of.. just license and go.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

thx guys

Hi goodkarma
Welcome. Just to add what was said and pointed out.
Did you get your hunter safety certificate in California.
If so go on line to the ca. Fish and wildlife and create a user and password. They will give you a go i.d.
See if the have your hunter and safety recorded. If they do your in.
Order a hunting license on line.
Include the upland and duck stamps if plan hunt these.
Print out the license and they will mail you a hard copy.
If your certificate is not recorded you will probably have to retake the class and test.
I had a hard copy back in 1970, but computers did not exist.
So mine was never recorded under the new system. How ever because I had my license every year I was able to work around it.
I actually retook the class and test.
Passed and now my profile has been updated in the system. LOL
45 + years later.
Far as Jack's go as said before , you will have to cover some ground.
Main issue just learn what habitat they like. BLM high desert or Imperial Valley has tons of rabbits.
Plus quail , pheasant, and every one's favorite dove.
I don't know you're skill level at using shotguns and rifle.
I would highly recommend training and shooting at range. And or go out to shoot with very experienced friends.
Remember to always work on safety.
And let someone know where you will be.

Best of luck
Longbow

Welcome!! If you happen to have the old license or any old paperwork you may be able to get a new license at somewhere like Big5 or Turners Outdoors, BassPro etc, Honestly it may not be a bad idea to just go online at https://www.huntercourse.com/ and take online portion then the 3 hour follow up class. For me it's always good to brush up on new laws, safety etc, As far as Jackrabbits are concerned, Southern California deserts are loaded with them all year long. I'm sure you will learn a few things here and plenty are more than willing to help you.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu