Hunting from a tree

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
So I’ve been practicing in a climbing stand as often as I can. I think I’m getting the hang of it. I’m wondering if there are any options for hunting in a tree but not necessarily from a stand.

I’ve seen some trees that have really big forks and seem like you could just sit in the wedge of the fork somehow. Maybe I’m overthinking it, just want to hear from the veterans if I should stick to my climber, grind blind or is there something to be said for the non-straight/ forked trees?

something like this -

Attachments

• BBB59F68-52A3-4624-8B2A-CDEB7EEA76D7.jpeg
    BBB59F68-52A3-4624-8B2A-CDEB7EEA76D7.jpeg
    617.1 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: sherpa
Climbing a tree and having a tree stand is nothing to dick with...A number of folks have fallen and it ain't good...Sitting for long periods of time makes for dozing off...I think you're getting my drift...The fork in the tree, IMO, is not a good idea.

.https://www.nytimes.com/1999/10/22/sports/plus-baseball-houston-caminiti-injured-on-hunting-trip.html

I totally agree with staying safe and would never go up without a safety system on. I was more curious if there are any type of portable platforms or systems designed for abnormal tree shapes. Seems like there could be a use for a forked tree. For now I suppose I’ll stick with my climber.

just to save you from getting a ticket, some of the oak trees are considered rare . on public land (NF) it's prohibited to permanently attach something as such.
only temporary. example no nails, lag bolts nothing screwed into the tree. thus only straps that will not damage the tree..
fiquire out how to starp it up. also a back rest is a must. get some thing very very commfortable. siiting more than 3 hours is rough.
you need some thing to rest your feet and able to stand up and strech.
that stand has possibilities but as it is stand out like a sore thumb. the anti's will be crawling all over it and you..
make it disappear to the eye.

While the elevated height certainly could, in some locations offer a better vantage point and possibly more shot opportunities. Before stressing yourself out and fussing with all that weight... I'd highly recommend, at least trying several times, instead, sitting at the base of that tree in a Leafy Suit with Matching Face-mask with a coloration that looks appropriate for the area... in as comfortable of a sitting option as you can find... and work on your holding-still skills. And also maybe pile-up a bit of deadfall from nearby to create somewhat of a natural gRound-blind. Only maybe even to like knee height or so thereabouts.

You will be amazed at how many things just don't know you're there, or even come up right next to you, if the wind is right! I've been very thankful and thoroughly jazzed for all the neat encounters I've had in just the 5 short years I've been at this, after I started wearing the leafy suit!

Besides deer, of course, one of the coolest ones... was having a little Cottontail... appear out from behind the scrub oak my sit was backed up against... and inching himself slowly, a bit at a time, getting right up beside me!!... even stood up on his hind legs and was trying to sniff for me in the air!... oh my goodness....so close! Like maybe just a bit out of range for me to kick it with an extended leg! Then the thrill of having to wait motionless... as he then receded back where he'd come from, which was directly behind me on the back side of that scrub oak. Then when he was out of view and I finally moved... thinking he was gone....he spooked... ran across thru the scrub oak.. then off the other way to my left... then made the fatal mistake of pausing to look back when he'd gotten to like maybe 15yds away from, and about to go into a bunny trail that lead into the taller grass. "POP!" Yayyy!! Then later that same evening... he's laying by my feet...I'm on my sit, surveying several places about my FOV in front of me... .17 HMR on the shooting sticks.. then I decide to turn and place my head 90 degree over my shoulder to the right and rest it on the shoulder of the arm that was holding the rifle in the shooting sticks in front of me... intending to scan these other 2 or 3 spots they come out sometimes... and in my mind I'm like "Oh HELLO!" Soo cool! A mature doe... feeding at maybe 30yds to my right! Watched her feed and feed as she kept getting further and further towards being behind me... until she finally caught on the wind current the smell of that Rabbits blood at my feet! HaHA!! Woohoo! She stotted off back towards the chapparral she'd emerged from nice and quick, throwing back one last bewildered look, still not knowing where it came from, just before she dove fully back into it!

it's just my opinion, but I had better luck up in the tree, seeing deer that didn't see me or smell me.
but being on the ground has it's advantages, easier to change locations, cover more territory.
but most of the time I got busted. and the reason was I hunted in unpredictable wind, changed like toilet paper.
were as in a tree being higher up it was harder for deer to pick up my scent. I have had deer come up from behind me.
but not often.. but it still requires absolute minimum movement, deer see movement like no other.
my issue is making it happen, eye sight getting worst, arms not so steady any more.
but LOL that's an other story.. ugg getting older sucks.

Reactions: TheGDog
I not telling you guys that bow what you don't all ready know. but bow hunting is close and personnel.
getting in range is the issue. and knowing your own personnel distance is a mut. in a tree, it's ver simple to range
every thing, (rocks, trees mostly and so on), to get the range in your memory bank. no thinking involved.

So I’ve been practicing in a climbing stand as often as I can. I think I’m getting the hang of it. I’m wondering if there are any options for hunting in a tree but not necessarily from a stand.

I’ve seen some trees that have really big forks and seem like you could just sit in the wedge of the fork somehow. Maybe I’m overthinking it, just want to hear from the veterans if I should stick to my climber, grind blind or is there something to be said for the non-straight/ forked trees?

something like this -

Go sit on a branch of a tree, for a few hours and then try to position yourself to pull your bow, with out falling out. Try to not go to sleep also.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLarson757
Go sit on a branch of a tree, for a few hours and then try to position yourself to pull your bow, with out falling out. Try to not go to sleep also.

Not necessarily what I was trying to put into words. I’m more curious if there are any stand/ platform systems that can be used in tree forks or big splits. Something that give a bit more mobility would be awesome if you could move a full 360 if needed depending on the shot.
I think I’ll stick to the climber and hope something walks under me this year.

Not necessarily what I was trying to put into words. I’m more curious if there are any stand/ platform systems that can be used in tree forks or big splits. Something that give a bit more mobility would be awesome if you could move a full 360 if needed depending on the shot.
I think I’ll stick to the climber and hope something walks under me this year.

get a saddle system

Reactions: somekindofnick
I really like the ladder tree stands, for an arthritis old fart it is very comfortable. and very safe to climb. hang up trees are good too, but I get to stiff, and sore.
if your not comfortable you will move to much, but just my opinion. perfect for private land or were there are trees, sometimes good old fashion ground blind works great,
hides your outline and movement, get a nice ice chest in there for drinks and snack, comfortable chair, take a nap I'm good.

Do the ladder tree stands have a way to lockout the sitting place to disallow somebody else from climbing and sitting within YOUR ladder stand if you brought it out there one weekend, say with the intention of coming back in the next to hunt in it, and wanted to ensure no one else could mess around and try to use it and blow your stand out with their not being cautious about movements and scent and making all kindsa noise?

I dunno like maybe the same kinda stuff they do to keep pidgeons off buildings? HaHA!! spike strips!!! HaHAA!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu