Hunting guides Ca, Az, Nm, Or ?

Benjammin

Feb 5, 2015
Alpine, California
Hello all. Me & my wife are new to Archery & hunting & we are looking for affordable hunts. We are looking for Meat not trophies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. primarily deer, hog, turkey, etc. getting very discouraged not realizing this was a rich mans sport as I am self employed and do not make 10 k a month. have been looking on the internet & so far have come up with Arkansas & Texas . Anyway any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks So much. Ben.

Ben,

Sadly, American hunting is becoming like Europe......A rich man's sport......For any out of state hunter it's going to cost for any of the major big game species......Even hunting turkeys in New Mexico this past week was $175.00 (OTC)...Public land and the whole trip cost about $400.00 for 7 days...I have friends that are outfitters there.....Your looking at over $10 grand for an elk and over 6 for a big mulie...... :(

The best deal IMO is Montana.....About $1,000.00 for the combo deer & elk tags.....That includes any deer, any elk, upland, & fishing.....Finding a place to hunt is a whole other issue.

Good luck

You can find guided hunts for less than that, but Steve is right: NR licenses are not cheap. Couple of examples: I just put in for "points only" in NV. License was $150, and points for each species were about $13.50. Add AZ, CO, NM,WY, and it adds up. I hunt with friends in WY, so I have a free place to stay and no guide fee. But license and Muley tag were over $700 and antelope tag was $500 more. Mind you, these are un-guided hunts. It adds up, so you may want to put some thought into what states to concentrate on. For my money, friends and family should figure into the equation for you ;)

bonjour & ilovesprig thanks so much for info & feedback. I am born & raised San Diegan & have hunted all over San Diego when I was younger but it seems little by little OUR land is being taken away. Since me & my wife just got new bows we have been out scouting since sept. 2014 & have been getting VERY discouraged for not seing any wild life & we have been doing our fair share of miles & getting way out in the back country. just want meet for the freezer. Anyway thank you again very much for the info. & best of wishes. Sincerely . Ben.

I'd try FHL this time of year for pigs on public land it's not close but better than down here. The deer this year should be good seeing lots this spring down here.

Like was said before it's expensive for out of state hunts but lots of fun when it all comes together.

Based on that other thread I want to try a DIY archery mule deer hunt in AZ this coming year with an OTC tag.

BTW Ben, in case you were wondering, FHL is Fort Hunter Liggett
http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/local/home.asp

Bonejour said:
Based on that other thread I want to try a DIY archery mule deer hunt in AZ this coming year with an OTC tag.

On my list also. All about time and money for it to work out though..

OTC DIY is an uphill battle......gotta spend lots of time talking to people googling the area ect just to find game and know the area. Set your expectations low but aim high this will help with your attitude especially if your doing a solo backpack hunt.....

Carful it's addicting....

You will need to do your homework, but if you're a meat hunter, you can't beat a whitetail doe/fawn tag in North-Central WY for about $40. Mostly private land, though, so you might need to knock on some doors. They also have doe/fawn pronghorn tags for the same price, in zones a little further east. All over the counter tags.

A buddy and I went up a couple years ago, and let me tell you, that was without a doubt, no contest, hands down, the best deer meat I've ever tasted. Everybody that tried it said it was good.

Benjammin ,Do know how a hunt in North West Ark, The guy has some good land and Deer . It is a semi guided hunt . And also so the draw dead line is come up at the end of the month for Wyoming and have a good Mule deer hunt there as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu