Hunting muleys on public land, so. Cal

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Here is a nice article for the newbies. I would buy this guys book. He knows what he is talking about. Note this a rough guide line.
Walk the ridges. Look a cross the draws and up the hills.
With to days glass it's almost cheating. I use to do this with no glass. But if I had. I may of seen that monster.
Best to all
LB

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/how-to-find-big-mule-deer-areas-using-google-earth#gs.d4KyCS0

P.S. what is really important is this.
He shows what feeding areas and bedding areas look like using Google maps. Potential holding
Spots for big deer.
When I look at an area I instinctively look for these spots.

Edit: here is a good read. This author drills in why they couldn't see dear
And backs up the post by our veteran hunters on this board.
About glassing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/modern...odern-hunters.com/mule-deer-hunting-mistakes/

Last edited:
What use bug me about hunting shows is this.
They would go to a paid to hunt a private ranch , paid
To hunt deal, with permanent wooden blinds near a food plot.
With does and all sorts of bucks running everywhere.
On southern California public land
This isn't even close to how we have to hunt.
The terrain is steep, the chaparral thick, in my novice days I would try to stomp thru brush, only to be frustrated. Once I got in that stuff it was like being in hell.
And the noise factor was terrible.
Forget about seeing deer.
They probably watched the episode and laughed their ass off at the stupid human.

Step back to the present.
Before I proceeded to hike a mountain I analyze the mountain with Google maps and Onxhunt.
I try to pick a route that will cause
The least amount of effort and noise
And of course playing the wind.

When I was a young hunter we did not have these tools. We had hard maps. As young hunter I really did not ask enough questions from the veterans I was hunting with.
I just followed their lead without questions.
There is a method to their madness.

Point to the above is this
on public land.
The crucial advice from veteran hunters on this board is valuable information.
Learn the habitat of were to find
The lush green vegetation deer require. And where the required bedding ground they require for safety.
To these deer it's a matter of survival. They live day and out to out smart predators, no less dumb humans.
I used to hunt 75 acres of a thousands of acres of prime. Private Land. and deer hunting was easier. But not easy.
But it was a cake walk compared to public land. Especially
In southern CA.
The knowledge of the veterans on this board is a big jump start for you newbies.
But don't be dismayed. If you do make noise use common sense.
Stop often and get to the glassing
Point as quickly but quite like as possible. Once there let it calm down. And watch, glass for hours.
I have actually shot a deer and missed, (that wasn't often)
And shot a buck an hour later.
Most importantly I did play the wind
And i kept well hidden. And stood absolutely still. Deer look for scent
, (Smell), and movement.
It would be super cold.
And I would rough it out.
But it would eventually pay off
With a buck. Venison in the freezer.
LB

PS: I hate the automatic spell checked. Double edge sword.Deer1971crop.JPGz

Last edited:
Qualifications for a Southern California deer Hunter on public land.

#1) a little crazy, but very dedicated.
#2) best shape in your life. No couch potatoes here.
#3) willing to hike, crazy steep mountains. And wiling to hike in
3-10 miles in. Get away from the crowd's.
#4) did I say #1, really the dedication to be a southern California hunter, some of my non hunting friends think I an crazy.
Since it's so easy to buy a steak
At the grocery store. We are surely different breed.
Wild game is high on my menu.
#5) we really care about wild life habitat. And we are staunch conservationist. And care about our
Public land.
#6) dedicated to the sport. And to
Being the best we can with our
Hunting equipment. And being proficient bow and riflemen.
Best to all
LB

Last edited:
Great Article and advice. I meet number 1 and working on 2, I would crash through the brush and sweat my butt off but see nothing. But I did find out that I am immune to poison oak! The rest applies as well. Now I have learned from you and my own experience to do the things you said. Thanks LB
Thank you for the kind reply Msailor

Qualifications for a Southern California deer Hunter.

#1) a little crazy, but very dedicated.
#2) best shape in your life. No couch potatoes here.
#3) willing to hike, crazy steep mountains. And wiling to hike in
3-10 miles in. Get away from the crowd's.
#4) did I say #1, really the dedication to be a southern California hunter, some of my non hunting friends think I an crazy.
Since it's so easy to buy a steak
At the grocery store. We are surely different breed.
Wild game is high on my menu.
#5) we really care about wild life habitat. And we are staunch conservationist. And care about our
Public land.
#6) dedicated to the sport. And to
Being the best we can with our
Hunting equipment. And being proficient bow and riflemen.
Best to all
LB

Lee,

Or get permission on the best 40 acres in San Diego Co...…….lol

Yes Steve your golden. That has to be one of the best deer spots.
LB
Steve let me scout his spot last week. Blurry pic, but you get the point.
41e0eac00897c9fc20b270604bc7aa4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Longbow,
Great write up! I love the amount of action on the big game forum this season. Hopefully we can keep it rolling. Looks like that article was written by Robby Denning. That guy is a the king of big mule deer. He’s killed tons of Boon and Crockett mule deer and for new or seasoned hunters who want a good read, his book “Hunting Big Mule Deer: How To Kill The Biggest Buck Of Your Life” is ourstanding. Definitely a different world hunting So Cal where big bucks are hard to find. I will say that they’re there and you just gotta find them. I spend a fair amount of time hunting deer every season and I still have a ton to learn but I will hit on some key points I’ve learned over the 20ish years.
- Busting through brush though it’s where deer live (often where the big bucks live) is a no go for me. It typically results in busting deer and educating deer. You may see game but they will see you, smell you, and see you before you see or hear them.
- Get in an area to glass as much as possible. This is hard to do around here because So Cal is comprised of thick country.
- Don’t just power walk to your spot because you will miss valuable pieces to the puzzle. Walk slow (slower than you think is slow) and look around. Look for ears flickering in the woods, look the horizontal flats of a deers back, look for legs under the overhanging trees, and look for any movement. On my last hunt I spotted a deer by picking out its tail sticking out past an oak flickering. And I can’t emphasize this enough but look for tracks. Identify the difference between a buck track, a doe track, and a big buck track. Especially this time of the year. If you find a big buck track that deer is probably within a mile of that location. Stick with it.
- Spend as much time in the field as possible. Steve (ilovesprig) is a perfect example of this. The reason why he finds so much game is not only because of his prime spots and years of hunting experience. He’s in the woods probably more than any hunter on this forum. The more your out there, the more your gunna find game and learn their habits.
- Hunt the areas where other people aren’t. That being said chose these areas wisely. You have to hunt big buck country to find big bucks. Learn the areas with good genetics, find the areas that have good food and water, find areas that have both good cover and good openings to feed. If you can find a spot like that as far away from any roads as possible you’re likely to find good bucks and older age class animals.

You could spend years compiling all the info and tips to find/kill big deer but get out there. Your not gunna get em sitting on the couch or in the office.

Josh

Longbow,
Great write up! I love the amount of action on the big game forum this season. Hopefully we can keep it rolling. Looks like that article was written by Robby Denning. That guy is a the king of big mule deer. He’s killed tons of Boon and Crockett mule deer and for new or seasoned hunters who want a good read, his book “Hunting Big Mule Deer: How To Kill The Biggest Buck Of Your Life” is ourstanding. Definitely a different world hunting So Cal where big bucks are hard to find. I will say that they’re there and you just gotta find them. I spend a fair amount of time hunting deer every season and I still have a ton to learn but I will hit on some key points I’ve learned over the 20ish years.
- Busting through brush though it’s where deer live (often where the big bucks live) is a no go for me. It typically results in busting deer and educating deer. You may see game but they will see you, smell you, and see you before you see or hear them.
- Get in an area to glass as much as possible. This is hard to do around here because So Cal is comprised of thick country.
- Don’t just power walk to your spot because you will miss valuable pieces to the puzzle. Walk slow (slower than you think is slow) and look around. Look for ears flickering in the woods, look the horizontal flats of a deers back, look for legs under the overhanging trees, and look for any movement. On my last hunt I spotted a deer by picking out its tail sticking out past an oak flickering. And I can’t emphasize this enough but look for tracks. Identify the difference between a buck track, a doe track, and a big buck track. Especially this time of the year. If you find a big buck track that deer is probably within a mile of that location. Stick with it.
- Spend as much time in the field as possible. Steve (ilovesprig) is a perfect example of this. The reason why he finds so much game is not only because of his prime spots and years of hunting experience. He’s in the woods probably more than any hunter on this forum. The more your out there, the more your gunna find game and learn their habits.
- Hunt the areas where other people aren’t. That being said chose these areas wisely. You have to hunt big buck country to find big bucks. Learn the areas with good genetics, find the areas that have good food and water, find areas that have both good cover and good openings to feed. If you can find a spot like that as far away from any roads as possible you’re likely to find good bucks and older age class animals.

You could spend years compiling all the info and tips to find/kill big deer but get out there. Your not gunna get em sitting on the couch or in the office.

Josh

Hi Josh
Thank you for your positive input.
Very much appreciated your valuable advice. And by the way very well done write up. At my age I am trying to pass the foot ball to younger hunters and your are right.
We are all ways learning new and positive techniques.
What young hunters don't under stand Steve has set himself up from years of planning and hard work.
The point is I am trying and trying hard. To let younger hunters not to get frustrated. And give up.
We all have been there.
Hell I have learned a lot from post like yours. It is well appreciated.
My days climbing these mountains
Is limited. But the point is I still try
And get out. And will continue trying.
Thank you very much.
LB

Colorado?....Heck Jason, I thought that was SFWA…….lol

ps....And there are bucks near here that are that big...OK...Maybe not quite that big......;)

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Colorado?....Heck Jason, I thought that was SFWA…….lol

ps....And there are bucks near here that are that big...OK...Maybe not quite that big......;)

I have looked at hunting the Midwest for white tail. LOL
It's easier hunting.
Pull up to spot, shoot a deer. Load it up on the truck.
I have friends and family in Pennsylvania,
Indiana. And Michigan.
With leased land.
LB

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawnandusk
Well final report for early archer A22. Saw lots of deer. Hunting early season is tough. I put in 11 days hunting early archery and at least that many scouting. I saw 3 shooter bucks. Closest I got was 80yds. Passed on some a small forky. Saw lots of does and spikes. Final assessment: If you wanna shoot a archery buck early A22 you gotta hunt extremely hard or be extremely lucky. 6.5 is dialed in and I’m ready for D16.

Josh

Well final report for early archer A22. Saw lots of deer. Hunting early season is tough. I put in 11 days hunting early archery and at least that many scouting. I saw 3 shooter bucks. Closest I got was 80yds. Passed on some a small forky. Saw lots of does and spikes. Final assessment: If you wanna shoot a archery buck early A22 you gotta hunt extremely hard or be extremely lucky. 6.5 is dialed in and I’m ready for D16.

Josh
Nice Josh.. u have a particular buck in mind for rifle season?

Jason

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2

Josh
Nice report Josh
Stick that big trophy

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu