Hunting Partner A Zone

KW.

Jun 14, 2020
Hello :D

I'm new to hunting, first timer here. I've followed hunters on social media for years and am now jumping in to give it a go myself. I have a deer tag for the A zone and have been doing research on where to set out from, I live in LA and seem to be zeroing in on near San Luis Obispo area although I'm open to suggestions.

I'm looking for a buddy to join me on this adventure and see if we can combine forces to bring some food home!

KW,

Welcome to SCH...When I was younger (much), my dad hunted the San Barbara area (LPNF)...As I recall, he got a couple bucks there.....Hatchet1 may be able to give you a couple of tips in that zone.

Reactions: KW.
I know a dude that has a couple acres in the A zone, along with a few acres in D zone....for a large fee, he could prolly have you done by 10am on day one..or stretch it out to the last hour on day 2 .

Reactions: Morgan1776 and KW.
That's something I've been curious about also, guided hunts. I've seen a lot of companies that offer guided hunts, some with 100% guarantee kill and things like that. I'm not necessarily looking to have it be so easy that it's that simple and guaranteed, I'm interested in the challenge, but as someone who doesn't have any experience I don't have the skills to pack out a deer on my own. Are guided hunts intentionally meant for newcomers to show them the ropes? Is that something that if I don't have a family member to show me that I would need to do on the first time? I see they often run a large price like you said, I'm just not sure where to start and am looking for a partner or mentor I guess you could say.

Reactions: HATCHET1
I think it's a great idea for a new hunter to use a guide. Get recommendations on sites like this. I recommend you talk to @HATCHET1 above. He would be on my short list for SoCal hunting. You'll learn a lot and have a great experience.

Reactions: KW. and HATCHET1
Go hiking in the areas you plan to hunt...hike it often to get familiar with the land and look for signs. Youtube has lots of videos to teach you how to break down a deer, packing it out takes more physical conditioning than skills. I got lucky last season and shot a deer close to my truck, so not too bad to pack it out.

(Inside joke with some truth) Getting a deer might take some time, there is a lot of people hunting them and the deer knows how to hide very well, scout often. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Have decent boots! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Be in good shape, Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Have some first aid skills Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

"You must get there before first light and stay until after dark or you will not see anything!!! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Do some reading of older posts here, lots of good information available, put in some work and these guys will help. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!

Take some tylenol laced with morphine and some PCP in case you fall and break a bone or something....Blah blah blah! ;):innocent:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu