Huskemaw

I like the idea of CDS dials I have them on a few rifles. I am building a new LR hunting rifle and wanted peoples opinions on them. What was the ease of use if you wanted to dial back to 800 yards. I don’t plan on shooting game at 800 or 1000 yards but would like to shoot targets.

No PRS guys/gals use the Huskemaw system or CDS. If it was something that was quick and repeatable, they would use it. Understanding ballistics is easier than you think. A little time investment is all it takes. Take off the training wheels Drew....we all like watching "Best of the West" shows, but at the end of the day Dan Adler is selling rifles and scopes. Good dude for sure nonetheless.

Reactions: TRICER
Huskemaw is m
No PRS guys/gals use the Huskemaw system or CDS. If it was something that was quick and repeatable, they would use it. Understanding ballistics is easier than you think. A little time investment is all it takes. Take off the training wheels Drew....we all like watching "Best of the West" shows, but at the end of the day Dan Adler is selling rifles and scopes. Good dude for sure nonetheless.
as long as I stick with MOA I have a pretty good understanding, the MOA math comes easy to me. Especially with a ballistic calculator on my phone or a printed cheat sheet. I just need to do it more and come up with a system that is field friendly. Something in the flip cap more than likely. Reality is the vast majority of what I shoot will be under 300 that’s just how it works out. So on the canyon to canyon stuff I should have time to settle in set up and get steady. After researching Huskemaw they are not made here so they are out. This will be an American build. There will be a Leupold on top. The Mark 5hd stuff really fits the bill.

Things this scope needs in my mind
.I want a 0 stop
.I want to be able to make more than one elevation turn
.Needs to have reasonable weight less than 2lbs closer to 1.5 preferably
.Probably most important to me is it needs low magnification some thing in the 3-5 range which will limit me to probably 20-25 on the high side

The reality of going long,

For 300 yards and under you should not be dialing anything. You could push that to 400 with very little hold over. For shots past that you have to set up and science the shit out of your shot. This is where the cds runs into trouble. Yes they can be made accurate but only at one temp, one altitude, one direction, one angle. Once any of the variables change you are now dialing a number on the scope that has no relation to distance. Yes a range finder can lase the target Calc all varibles and spit a number out but at that point dialing 19moa or dialing 720yards is irrelevant. The target is not 720 yards. Get a midrad or moa dial and live and breathe the math.

Zero stop is a prs thing, does not hurt anything but for hunting and bench shooting its not needed. It was needed so prs guys could race the gun from far to close fast with out looking. Prs is also responsible for the current ffp scope craze. Sfp wins for hunting and bench shooting every time. Prs guys need to have accurate hold overs and ranging at any magnification in a race. This never happens hunting or target shooting.

The low power min is more important than the high. From experience anything much over 3 will get you in mega trouble on a 100 yard offhand snap shot. For a while i had the 6-24 pst on my 6mm. Loved it at 300+ but it was the devil at 75. A running animal up close was almost impossible. Ultimately i removed it.

Good example of cds fail. At the taft shoot there is a wind condition that affects vertical :eek: we shoot on a bluff and even though at 1000yards the wind is left to right, at the muzzle the wind is vertical. This induces 12" or more of vertical jump. The numbers on the dial represent range not an actual vertical measurement. So knowing that how do you remove 12" of vertical at 1000k yards. In moa its simple 1moa is about 10inches so 1.2moa gives you 12" on a diall marked with yardage the marks are not equal and figuring what the actual vertical change is fuzzy at best

Huskemaw is m

as long as I stick with MOA I have a pretty good understanding, the MOA math comes easy to me. Especially with a ballistic calculator on my phone or a printed cheat sheet. I just need to do it more and come up with a system that is field friendly. Something in the flip cap more than likely. Reality is the vast majority of what I shoot will be under 300 that’s just how it works out. So on the canyon to canyon stuff I should have time to settle in set up and get steady. After researching Huskemaw they are not made here so they are out. This will be an American build. There will be a Leupold on top. The Mark 5hd stuff really fits the bill.

Things this scope needs in my mind
.I want a 0 stop
.I want to be able to make more than one elevation turn
.Needs to have reasonable weight less than 2lbs closer to 1.5 preferably
.Probably most important to me is it needs low magnification some thing in the 3-5 range which will limit me to probably 20-25 on the high side

You can play with my Mark 5HD next week Drew.

Reactions: TRICER
Keep us posted on what you end up with Drew. I’m curious

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu