I want to begin Reloading. Which is a Good Kit to buy?

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Want to Start Reloading, Don't need it to be super fast output. What Equip to Buy? If a reasonable amount of more money will yield a FAR easier processing, then let me know about those options as well.

I'd love to avoid the hassle of buying equipment all you guys have already tried and then later felt you didn't like, or that performed poorly.

Like most, I need to be reasonable in price. I'm told a classic single-stage style press should be fine.

PS any URL links you can throw onto this thread that you'd recommend for reading I'd appreciate as well.

Thank You,

-G

Coolio, thx man.

And it's going to have absolutely ?EVERYTHING? I will *need* in the kit?

NOTE: I understand that dies are separate.

Question... I see it lists a Nosler reloading manual. Does this mean that manual only covers loads/recipes that involve Nosler projectiles? Does that mean right off the bat, I'd probably have to acquire other manuals if I don't happen to use Nosler components?

No, any manual will give very helpful info on reloading in general. They will just favor their own bullets in the charts, but for the most part a 168 gr .308 burns the same no mater who makes the bullet.
The Lee classic with turret was the best value for me. I like having a separate turret for each caliber. Even the guys with fancy expensive loaders all have a Lee classic or Rcbs rock-chucker somewhere on their bench.

Reactions: TheGDog
Yeah, Ok... from my preliminary researching into all this... those turret-based systems seemed like they'd save a considerable amount of time, yes?

So with those, a person can eventually buy multiple turrets they can keep the dies already installed upon, right?

Redding gear is all U.S. made. They back their product and have a friendly knowledgeable staff. You would remiss if you did not check out their gear.

I scored an old RCBS JR2 and a number of dies, scale, powder measure, misc. slugs and gear from an estate. It is without a doubt all you need to get going on reloading. (I did install an Ergo Roller handle from InlineFabrication as an upgrade.) Works for me.

Turret based systems have movement between the slide and the turret and don't offer as much precision alignment between the case, bullet and die and could result in a bullet that is not in correct alignment to the bore of the rifle which will result with a bullet that does not start down the barrel in proper orientation to achieve maximum accuracy. It's your call on what you re trying to achieve. My folks purchased a RCBS Rockchucker kit in 1975 for me when they got tired of paying for my ammo and I'm still using it to maximum effect (with a few other accessories). Plenty of hand loaders on this site that can direct you in the direction you want to go.

Also contrary to RBDuffer's input I disagree. I believe because of the ogive taper differences and over all surface contact between each manufacturers bullets and metallurgy used as well as stress relief grooves your'e taking a risk with crossing over to other manufacturers recommendations that coupled with each rifle manufacturers spec's leads to a lot of unknown's. I do not believe for safety's sake it's safe to use one manufacturers specs from one manual to build a load for another brand bullet and it's dangerous in my opinion. I have experienced this in my past. When you reload you are dealing with pressures that can exceed 50'00 psi and to me it's not worth taking a chance (it can take your face off and you could lose your vision). Yes most reloading guides will give you the basics to reloading but stick to their load recommendation's until you learn the load you are working on and what your rifle can handle. To me reloading manuals are updated info every time they are produced according to the most current data they gather from testing. I have manuals from 1975 to the present and I still use them all for reference and perspective. Be safe not sorry and injured.

Most bullets manufacturers have theire own recipe to start with. I like using Barnes ttsx. They have reloading info on website.
As far as reloading equipment I’ve been using rcbs chucker supreme

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheGDog
Also contrary to RBDuffer's input I disagree. I believe because of the ogive taper differences and over all surface contact between each manufacturers bullets and metallurgy used as well as stress relief grooves your'e taking a risk with crossing over to other manufacturers recommendations that coupled with each rifle manufacturers spec's leads to a lot of unknown's. I do not believe for safety's sake it's safe to use one manufacturers specs from one manual to build a load for another brand bullet and it's dangerous in my opinion. I have experienced this in my past. When you reload you are dealing with pressures that can exceed 50'00 psi and to me it's not worth taking a chance (it can take your face off and you could lose your vision). Yes most reloading guides will give you the basics to reloading but stick to their load recommendation's until you learn the load you are working on and what your rifle can handle. To me reloading manuals are updated info every time they are produced according to the most current data they gather from testing. I have manuals from 1975 to the present and I still use them all for reference and perspective. Be safe not sorry and injured.
Hi Snake charmer
I have a question what it the factor of over loading the capicity limit of the cartridge.
As rookies seems to me starting out, should be conservative.
And not push the limits.

Every pressure vessel has a Max capacity with safety factor. Usually 1.5 x safety factor. Pushing the limits and
It can be a time bomb waiting to happen. Get that little Xtra can cost.

If you want to spend big bucks go with the recommendations above.

If you don't want to load 10,000 round a minute, just enough to shoot. Look at Lee''s. Good quality stuff, not fancy, truly hand load but works. I have a Lee handpress and dies and I can load nontoxic stuff for about 1/3 of the price of store bought.

Reactions: rbduffer
If you want to spend big bucks go with the recommendations above.

If you don't want to load 10,000 round a minute, just enough to shoot. Look at Lee''s. Good quality stuff, not fancy, truly hand load but works. I have a Lee handpress and dies and I can load nontoxic stuff for about 1/3 of the price of store bought.

That sounds like it'd be a good way to begin, with tackling something like the simpler pistol cartridges.

I'm liking the sound of this Lee handpress for now. Then... once a little experience under my belt, and when I've made some room in the Garage by liquidating some things... follow it up with a little buy-once, cry-once.

Gotta ease up a little on purchases for a second. Just bought the boys shotgun, ordered some Vortex Vulture 15x56 HD's and a bunch of other supporting products for predator season. There's a Bobcat I'm fixing to meet up with again this year.

Meantime the damn house has some needful things I've got to address coming up here soon.

I'm liking the sound of this Lee handpress for now. Then... once a little experience under my belt, and when I've made some room in the Garage by liquidating some things... follow it up with a little buy-once, cry-once.

Gotta ease up a little on purchases for a second. Just bought the boys shotgun, ordered some Vortex Vulture 15x56 HD's and a bunch of other supporting products for predator season. There's a Bobcat I'm fixing to meet up with again this year.

Meantime the damn house has some needful things I've got to address coming up here soon.
Don't forget the inevitable dental, vet, car bill that is going to happen soon. Seems like there is always a $1,000 every month or so around our house. You can always look on craigslist, offer up, or ebay and find something used.

Ugh... damn it.. you reminded me... vet bill. My Rat Terrier is going to need a bunch of Extractions, forgot about that. Ugh. It never ends...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu