Ice water in sausage?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
How many of you sausage makers recommend adding ice water or some other liquid (beer, wine, juice)? I've made a lot of uncased sausage but this will be my first attempt at stuffing links. Seems like half the recipes recommend it to help keep the meat cold and emulsify it better. This batch will be a jalapeno cheddar sausage using a motley crew of jacks and cottontails.

For breakfast sausage use champagne, Italian red wine, cast IPA for jalapeno cheddar or any hot sausage. Bratwurst I love to use a port wine, port beer my fav is stones arrogant bastard!

Buy the cheapest wine, champagne or port wine. The stronger the flavor the better it works for sausage. You're layering flavors....... don't go cheap with the beer.

When you get a stinky boar/animal the stronger flavors work the best in sausage and also marinating.

For marinating wild game soak it in salt water first couple hours if you can. Drain rinse dry pound out a little if you can then marinate in your favorite beer wine port or liquor.

Hot grill pull meat from marinade place on hot grill and semi close it as it burns off.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu