Idaho elk

Hogskin

Nov 11, 2019
Alright, my best friend does a bunch of work for a mega-rich guy who mentioned to him that he owns a large ranch in Idaho. My friend asked, "How large?" and the guy said, "I'm not sure, I think it's about 30,000 acres. I've only been there once." :dizzy: My friend asked the guy if there is any hunting on it and the rich guy's commander-in-chief said, "Absolutely. Elk, deer, antelope. What do you want?" Buddy said, "I'd love it if my friend and I could hunt elk." The guy said, "As long as it's in season and you have a license just let me know and I'll make it happen."

While it sounds too good to be true I actually believe it because if I mentioned the guy's name you'd go, "holy *bleep*!" But I've never hunted Idaho and I've never hunted elk so I was hoping I could get some input on what to expect as far as how to get a license, blaze orange, non-lead ammo, and anything else. I actually don't even know what I don't know. I only know that we will be rifle hunting (I'd prefer archery but I'm not the shot caller).

Any info on what to expect is appreciated. Planning to go around October 20th.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
Hopefully there is tags left or hopefully some get turned back in and you can pick them up, but in this day an age that’s tough. Good luck but like already mentioned you need to figure out the unit then go from there.

I would be one that like Larry on a ground squirrel. I wouldn't go giving the guy a BJ just yet. First thing you need to do it check with Idaho fish and game or what ever they call it up there, see if they even have OTC tags for out of state hunters or, just what option you have. I did a little checking and if the site is up to date and, I read id right, there are tags left for out of state hunter but it goes by zone, so what zone are you has X many tags remaining. Check it out. Maybe you'll get lucky, I hope so. keep us up to date on research.

Idaho like many other western states issues land owner tags so that they can manage wildlife over large parts of private owner land and those dates can vary greatly from public dates. The responses you have been given are not exactly accurate. First I would suggest you check with the land owner management team to see what Idaho F&g has issued for the property and then work with the team to be supplied applications and apply for permits as well as arrange for dates that comply with the seasons allowed by them. Bottom line - don't use this site for factual info, there are too many things you should not take as fact from folks that just like to talk on this site.

Reactions: 180ls1 and IVhunter
Don’t underestimate the importance of training. I only went on a couple hikes before my elk hunt last year and I regretted it big time.

Also, run through your itinerary with Charmer before you head to Idaho, to be sure that everything is squared away.
Hogskin don't bother checking with me. I have never hunted Idaho but I know and study the regs from year to year and have done so for a long time. H527 likes to be the instigator of stupid comments to try and get a rise out of someone and has not suppied any good advice to this site from what I have seen so far.

Nice hearing from you, Hog

I hunted a friend's big ranch in Montana...Someone should know where to hunt on this ranch...Let them lead the way and do what they suggest...Standard 30-06 with LEAD 180 grain Core- lokt did the job...What rifle do you have?...Lots of rifles, bullets, and calibers that better these days.

Take cold weather gear, waterproof boots, some blaze orange (required in Montana, but may not be in Idaho), get the regs online, have your own binos, and knives.

I'm sure there's a bunch more stuff, but this is a start.

Reactions: Hogskin and MJB
Do you know what unit the ranch is on? I hunted elk in unit 24 last season. No blaze orange needed and it wasn't too cold last year around that time. I was up near Cascade and I did just fine with my cold weather gear from out here. As Steve mentioned a 30-06 will do the trick and you definitely have to find out the area you are in and check the regs on type of rifles you can use. In the unit I hunted some areas were short range weapons only and across the road was any rifle.

Thanks, guys. Still gathering info as my friend just told me tonight. I believe it is near Salmon, Idaho. He was told that landowner tags would be provided, we only need to get licenses but he's a whitetail hunter from Ohio and this will be his first elk rodeo, too. I certainly plan to do my homework asap. I have a 30-06 that I've knocked over plenty of deer and hogs with. Recommendations on bullets - and where to get them, holy cow! - are appreciated.

This all seems to good to be true but I reckon I'll know in the next few weeks.

Appreciate the help, truly.

Thanks, guys. Still gathering info as my friend just told me tonight. I believe it is near Salmon, Idaho. He was told that landowner tags would be provided, we only need to get licenses but he's a whitetail hunter from Ohio and this will be his first elk rodeo, too. I certainly plan to do my homework asap. I have a 30-06 that I've knocked over plenty of deer and hogs with. Recommendations on bullets - and where to get them, holy cow! - are appreciated.

This all seems to good to be true but I reckon I'll know in the next few weeks.

Appreciate the help, truly.
Idaho has whitetail deer as well..a little different from hunting them back in Ohio I'm sure but they're there..that's one of the things that makes that place so cool in my opinion..being able to find Mule deer and whitetails in the same area..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu