Imperial Valley Dove Hunt Partner Needed

Johnny B

Nov 23, 2018
Hi All, I have only been dove hunting twice but am looking for someone gracious enough to let me tag along to a hunt in the Imperial Valley before the season is over. I don’t have any friends that hunt so I have only gone solo. Please let me know if you wouldn’t mind a rookie tagging along. I’ll bring the beer for after the hunt;)

Last edited:
Johnny.

My experience is that during the first few days of the September opener the hunt is pretty good. Not so much in November and is even slower the further away from the November opener. That's not to say that you won't find a few birds here and there, but surprisingly the lack of hunters during late season seems the make it more difficult to have a bird flying close enough for a shot.

I'm yet to find my deer and for me, the season ends 12/31 so I have to continue pushing thru.

If you are interested in Quail, the season ends 01/26. I wouldn't mind chasing some quail in the Valley in January. If you are interested remind me in early January. If not, is all good.

Cheers.

Reactions: ilovesprig
That’s great insight on the dove, thanks. As for quail I would absolutely love to meet out there in January. I’ll hit you up early Jan to set it up. Thanks again man!

Don't give up, there are plenty of Dove to be had this time of year. You just have to find that spot.
Keep lookin

Reactions: TRICER
Thanks MAG 1. I’m planning going out on Dec 7th, hopefully I’ll find a good spot.

I don’t have any friends that hunt either and none of them will get their hunting licenses and I’m looking for a buddy too to hit up all these potential quail spots I have marked on ONX and a buddy to share a duck blind with me at San Jacinto Only hunted the IV once about 8 years ago have a lot of spots marked out there on my GPS to hunt. Hmu man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about sweatlining it at San Jac tomorrow because the ducks oughta be flying in that rain if you’re down. Pm me and we’ll plan a day to head over to the IV!

@JohnnyB and I got ‘er done in the IV today! Not too shabby for a first time hunt in a new area and with new friend. Together we ended up with 4 doves, 2 very-hard-to-kill quail, and a cottontail. Morning started out slow so we moved around until we saw birds flying. Plenty of doves flying, but the hardest part for us was getting within range of them, whether we sat waiting or pursued them. We bumped into plenty of quail, too, which al ways caught us by surprise. Saw a couple bunnies and we were able to eventually flush this guy out into the open-and BOOM! Couldn’t be more excited to score my first upland trifecta! Definitely learned a lot for next time on how to get them.
Never would have made such a cool friend as Johnny B and gone on this awesome hunt if not for SCH!

0585261df289c363f0935447017811e7.jpg

Mojo not really necessary if you find the right spot/field.
My brother and I limited out on Saturday morning by 8am, no mojo set-up.
Went back to the same field/area yesterday afternoon.
Arrived at 1pm and we were both done by 2pm.
No need to even set the mojos out.
Had time to go chase pheasants till sundown.
Scouting and homework will always pay big dividends.
My point is, I always bring the mojos, but I don't always need/use them.

ss,

Congrats on finding late season birds...Historically, when you find a few, you find a lot this time of year.

Shot a few doves in my lifetime without Mojo's, but it always depends on the spot...I just know in wide open fields (which are mostly what we hunt in the IV), Mojo's will have birds hone in on your spot of hiding...I guess my question would be...Why not use them?

ps...I hope you didn't think that I was suggesting Mojo's are the cure all or a substitute for scouting...NOTHING out performs scouting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu