Imperial Valley Geese?

vbCal

May 18, 2021
I am still very new to waterfowl hunting but last year we did see a small pack of Canadas (2 dozen or so) about 300-400yds off the area we hunt out in Imperial Valley. I know there are geese in the valley during the season but I always assumed the numbers would be found on private fields or clubs. A friend of mine said last year he was going to hunt Wister for geese in some dry fields. Can anyone corroborate that information? I have not yet ben to Wister and assumed it was mostly preferred Duck habitat with maybe a straggler goose finding its way into the decoys here and there. I am planning on going to Wister and San J this year as the next part of my waterfowl experience. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank You very much. Do you have to draw for those as well or can you walk on to those fields?
They're the same as all the others, resis get first pick and if they aren't taken you can walk on. Most of the guys that hunt them have high resis though, they go quick.

I've driven around the southern part of the sea and have seen a few feeding in the nearby alfalfa fields. I've yet to take one down but I only try once a year.

Put enough decoys out they could land any where . Food is where they find it .

There's some honkers in the valley but not many, your best bet is trying to go on a snow goose hunt.

I am still very new to waterfowl hunting but last year we did see a small pack of Canadas (2 dozen or so) about 300-400yds off the area we hunt out in Imperial Valley. I know there are geese in the valley during the season but I always assumed the numbers would be found on private fields or clubs. A friend of mine said last year he was going to hunt Wister for geese in some dry fields. Can anyone corroborate that information? I have not yet ben to Wister and assumed it was mostly preferred Duck habitat with maybe a straggler goose finding its way into the decoys here and there. I am planning on going to Wister and San J this year as the next part of my waterfowl experience. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

99% of the geese shot on Wister, Hazard, and Union Trac are snows (specs & honkers are the others)...Honkers do work into the valley, but the numbers are very low...Union Trac are dry green fields, Hazard is water, and Wister has both.

These days there are many less snow hunters as in the old days (many less snows & honkers too)...Normally, hunting honkers you don't need a lot of decoys (calling & being on the X are way more important...Hunting snows is mostly a numbers game...The more decoys the better

When I was a kid, we lived in Annapolis, close to the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. I remember some of my friends' dads had old punt guns in their garages. Told stories about killing 10 or 20 ducks with one shot. When I was there, the hot tickets were the canvasbacks. The Severn River was only a couple hundred yards from our house. HUGE rafts of ducks there in the fall. I imagine it's changed since then.

Reactions: Hunter527
99% of the geese shot on Wister, Hazard, and Union Trac are snows (specs & honkers are the others)...Honkers do work into the valley, but the numbers are very low...Union Trac are dry green fields, Hazard is water, and Wister has both.

These days there are many less snow hunters as in the old days (many less snows & honkers too)...Normally, hunting honkers you don't need a lot of decoys (calling & being on the X are way more important...Hunting snows is mostly a numbers game...The more decoys the better
How are snows in terms of table fare?

I am not familiar with Union Trac. Is that part of the state WMAs or the federal NWRs?

Thank You everyone for the input and feedback! Looking forward to this year.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu