In search of waterfowl loads!!

Kbird22

Apr 19, 2020
Anyone know of a shop in or near San Diego that has Winchester dryloks or black cloud in stock?? Need to pattern both before deciding on which to buy a case of. Turners is a zoo and the guy I talked to said they don’t get those in stock ever. Even though they carry both Winchester and federal

Can't help, but Black Cloud (Gimmick IMO) is pretty common. Why did you limit your test to those two? Have you ever tried Kent Faststeel or Federal SpeedShok?

Reactions: ilovesprig
ROGERS and DUNNS both had them on sale recently. Best price i have ever seen on them.

Reactions: Kbird22
Totally agree with Jeff here....Give Kent's a try....Still IMO, the best steel duck & goose loads out there.

Blue box feds are OK too....And always less expensive.
I’ve tried the Kent’s and unfortunately my gun doesn’t cycle them well. Maybe I’ll just stick with super x’s this year

Order your ammo online (I use https://www.targetsportsusa.com/), some like “Midway” will not ship to Cali, have the ammo sent to your closest FFL. I recommend these two: in Vista is Sean DuPriest at National Police Supply LLC (760) 599-4410 or Gussler’s in Santee +1 (619) 258-2543 . Be prepared for typical background check just like at Turners or Big 5. Both these FFL’s are good people.
Awesome. Thank you for help

For the third time.... Kent doesn’t cycle well in my gun

Just out of curiosity, what kind of gun do you shoot?...I was the rep for Kent a long time...I have never had this issue shooting a Benelli SBE or ever heard this before from other folks...It's not beyond the realm of possibility that you got a bad box...It happens to all companies,

I did try Rio's a couple years back...Got a bad case of 3 1/2" BBB's...They got a bad batch of wads (probably from China) and the wad would melt from the heat of the burnt powder...It would come out like a slug... :D

ps...Josh had a bad Winchester dove load last Friday...Wad stuck in his barrel...Fortunately, he knew not to rack another shell.

I shoot a stoeger M3000. I was gifted a case of Kent’s for Christmas. So I’ve put a good number of shells through the gun. They get hung up when they eject more times than not. I’ve tried many things to figure this out but I think the Kent’s are just slightly longer than say a Winchester super x (which cycle beautifully out of my gun). I think I actually measured the two shells after they’ve been shot Last season but forgot to take a pic

Stoeger as you're probably aware, is a Benelli family gun (inertia driven)...When I was the CWA banquet chairman here in San Diego North, we raffled off 4 Stoeger semi autos…All of them had extracting issues...We tried numerous things and I don't think the problem was ever solved...Maybe, it was just the Kent shells...lol

4 different folks won the guns and they used different brands as well, including low base shells...I do know that Federal shells are slightly longer than Kent...That said, 2 3/4" shells (dove loads) shouldn't have a problem in a 3" gun.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Reactions: Kbird22
Thanks for the good info! I didn't know that federal is slightly longer than Kents so that's helpful. My stoeger doesn't extract Hevi-Metal well either

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu