Intro and questions!

Jp1111

Oct 18, 2018
Whittier, CA
Hey everyone,
Excited to start soaking up the knowledge! I live in Whittier area, and am fairly close to a lot of mountainous areas. I don’t mind driving either! I have two young boys, been married for almost 9 years, and work in sales.

I was recently given a bow from a friend, and am interested in hunting pig and turkey. I’ve never hunted before, and am wondering if there is any type of group or mentors class that helps with the initial prep of hunting (gear, gutting animals, licensing, etc) or if there is someone willing to let me tag along with them to see how it’s done?? I am excited to get ready for next season but want to
Make sure I am fully prepared before I get out there.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

First off welcome.
Secondly , how is your shooting form. And is your bow tuned correctly. Do you shoot at a long range, up to 60 yards.
Then the next step or concurrently
Take hunter safety class.
Joint the National Wild turkey federation. Start with small game.
And upland game. Practice hiking lots of the local mountains.
All of the above will prepare you for the next step. Big game.
LB

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
JP,

Welcome to SCH.....Wish you lived closer to San Diego Co., because there's a local chapter of NWTF.....Learn Imperial & San Diego counties for your best hunting opps…..San Diego Co. is the only one with turkeys in SoCal.....Watch for the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up.....Great event on how to turkey hunt.

Welcome to SCH. Pig and turkey will be kinda tough where you're located unless you book a guided hunt up north, which may be a good idea to learn some basics. Field dressing and gear you can learn that stuff on Youtube, but fundamentals like glassing, finding good habitat, and little tips/tactics are often learned from a mentor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wow!! Thanks for all the tips everyone! I feel the love!

So based on the collective information, I’ll focus on my shooting, technique, and bow skills.
Second, I’ll get in a hunter safety course
Lastly, I’ll connect with a mentor or organization.

@ilovesprig i May take you up on the offer to head down to SD soon. If I just tag along and hike with you, do I need a license?

Jp,

A week from today a few of us will be at Lake Henshaw cabins (13) for the opening of deer season.....Not as festive as the opener of turkey season, but should be fun none the less.

You do not need a license to scout or hike.....You will need your hunters safety course completed to get a hunting license.

I would take up Steve's generosity.
He has a wealth of information.
I have learned a lot from him too.
Have friend or a good bow shop tune your bow. And get some pointers on bow shooting form.
Thanks Steve left out purchasing a Hunting licence. Read read, read all
Hunting regulations, and about hunting. All you can stand.
That way ask questions about the sport and habitat.
Excuse my typing cell phone spell check sucks.

Jp,

A week from today a few of us will be at Lake Henshaw cabins (13) for the opening of deer season.....Not as festive as the opener of turkey season, but should be fun none the less.

You do not need a license to scout or hike.....You will need your hunters safety course completed to get a hunting license.
Man, I got caught up with work and missed this message!! If I DM you my contact info, can you let me know the next time you will be out?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Man, I got caught up with work and missed this message!! If I DM you my contact info, can you let me know the next time you will be out?

The next time at Lake Henshaw will be the Turkey opener.....Last week end of March (29th, 30th, and 31st).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu