Is it November (fall) or March (spring)?

Funny/odd... I've heard gobbling in the fall once but only because a yote was howling nearby.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jason,

Not terribly uncommon....The hens fight and have a pecking order as well...I think it excites the toms.....Recruitment this year isn't great, but we did have some and carry over of jakes seems to be pretty good....Long way to go to get back to the 2012 numbers.

.turkeys 2-15-12 006.JPG

In better times when turkeys were abundant. Early morning at day break I would here the turkeys
Doing the locator call's.
It was awesome. Now all hear is the wood Pecker's.
Not to many gobbling.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
In better times when turkeys were abundant. Early morning at day break I would here the turkeys
Doing the locator call's.
It was awesome. Now all hear is the wood Pecker's.
Not to many gobbling.
Ya the crow call was supposed make them gobble. As well as other calls.
Never had to much luck with that.
On public land that is.
At the state park i could do anything and they would gobble.

Ya the crow call was supposed make them gobble. As well as other calls.
Never had to much luck with that.
On public land that is.
At the state park i could do anything and they would gobble.
Peacock call.. they hate it. As does most anything with ears

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For some reason I couldn't post a video, but here are a couple of pics of the birds in my buddies yard in Julian. I need to take a class of "how to get permission to hunt private land" from Steve :grinning:.. can you guys tell if these are jakes or toms... sorry total rookie on these subject.IMG_6814.PNGIMG_6815.PNG

For some reason I couldn't post a video, but here are a couple of pics of the birds in my buddies yard in Julian. I need to take a class of "how to get permission to hunt private land" from Steve :grinning:.. can you guys tell if these are jakes or toms... sorry total rookie on these subject.View attachment 36765View attachment 36766
Another rookie here, but I understand that it depends on the beard length.

Richard,

When was this picture taken?....It looks like last years jakes (short beards) with a couple of 2 year old toms (long beards).....This years jakes shouldn't have any beards yet.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Richard,

When was this picture taken?....It looks like last years jakes (short beards) with a couple of 2 year old toms (long beards).....This years jakes shouldn't have any beards yet.

Howdy Steve,

Video was taken the 26 of October... let me try and upload video to youtube then try and post it. Yes, it looks like most have a 3 or 4 inch beard.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu