it's quiet, too quiet

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
New to this forum, but with the opener this month I was expecting some more reports. just seeing what the weather has been doing to the rabbit and what the populatipn looks like this year.

Hunt on, Fish on.

New to this forum, but with the opener this month I was expecting some more reports. just seeing what the weather has been doing to the rabbit and what the populatipn looks like this year.

Hunt on, Fish on.
Not many folks hunt rabbit I think, and many of those who do don't hunt em during the hot months. More for you and me... if I could find time to get out and hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hunt on, Fish on.
Hey welcome. I’ve been out three times since the opener. Only a couple of hours each trip from about six pm till dark. Otherwise too hot and the rabbits aren’t out anyway. Bunny population seems healthy in the main area I go too, I bagged four on each of two trips. I also went to a new area and it was dry of bunnies but coyote scat everywhere.

After the opener and getting 13 (& lost 2) out one area….It's been tough.....Even my best spots don't have many.....Probably go one more time and see if it's just this weather.

Hunting rabbits these days seems to be mostly a private property thing.....Kern Co. around Bodfish, Kelso Valley, and Lake Isabella were always a great area for late season 'butts.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Interesting input guys, just like to get a conversation started. It does seems like weather plays a role because when I did see rabbit last time I went out it was only when I pushed them. Gunna scout an area after work tomorrow. I'll see if I can take one down with the new bow.
@ilovesprig @WaterDawg @SurfNHuntSD @longbowhunter2
That’s cool if you can hit them with a bow. I get all mine on public land (except when I’m in the IV) so don’t give up on looking. Also, rather than busting them out of the brush, I suggest looking for signs (droppings and trails) and when you find obvious sign of bunny activity, sit down and as Fudd says, be very very quiet, and still. Eventually they will pop out in the open during dawn and dusk hours. Anyway just my thoughts. Good luck and give us a report!

Scouted a new area found no bunnies found some old droppings but at the end of the day had a nice walk and learned some new land.

Oh and saw some deer.
2 scouting trips 2 deer sittings. Not bad.

.20180720_192723.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Went out for some cottontails too. Saw 1 cottontail and 1 jack. Populations look low right now so I couldn’t bring myself to pop em. Did see plenty of deer though, looks like they are having a booming year.

I don't know why I see lots of rabbits. But just not in the mood. I am more into fishing the lakes. And would like to go ocean fishing. Just retired and money is tight for moment.

I don't know why I see lots of rabbits. But just not in the mood. I am more into fishing the lakes. And would like to go ocean fishing. Just retired and money is tight for moment.
We can trade some spots if you're looking. I'm looking for rabbits and you're looking for fish. I fly fish throughout ad freshwater and surf

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu