IV Blastin' and a little Castin', November 8 & 9

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
Myself, John and Pete hit the IV for birds on Friday and Saturday. Saturday's focus was quail, and we did pretty well. Every spot we checked had birds, and more than we could remember in recent memory. Seems like one rainy season really helped the population. We stayed in one large field chasing birds for a couple of hours there were so many. No dogs, so we had to work really hard.
1573423576878.png
IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4411.JPG

We always talk about bringing our fishing rods on these trips but never follow through. This time we did, taking several hunting breaks to throw lures in the nearest canal. None of us have any specific experience or knowledge in these waterways but we managed quite a few small bass. I know there are bigger ones out here too. Top lures were a chartreuse chatter bait and a yellow rooster tail.

IMG_4392.jpg

We targeted dove on Saturday morning. Hadn't seen many at all on Friday, but one field looked promising and we had an OK morning shoot. Later we chased quail again and fished a little, then came back to this dove field later in the afternoon and each of us finished with near 15-bird limits.

IMG_4415.JPG

Pete spotted a rattler and called me over to take a picture of it. I sat down my gun about ten feet away and snapped a few photos, at which point the snake crawls directly to my shotgun and commandeers the weapon. Crafty serpent! Soon he crawled into the irrigation outlet to the right and I got my Beretta back.

IMG_4400.jpg
IMG_4407.jpg

Some interesting stuff in the IV.

IMG_4398.jpg
IMG_4397.jpg

Why this next picture? The single guy in our group, Pete, talked about his crush on Wonder Woman as much as he did about hunting.

IMG_4413.jpg

Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4398.jpg
    IMG_4398.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 16
Kevin,

That's a damn great couple of days in the IV...Congrats guys.

ps....I would've whacked that snake with anything I could've found... :angery:
I know exactly what you would have done Steve! We did consider killing and eating it but chose to let it move on. Still can’t believe it coiled around the butt of my gun. it looked like a photo set up but this was NOT staged haha.

Rad weekend in the IV. It's the time to fill freezers with some good eats that the IV produces.

I'm with Steve, take that sucka out.
I don't want to read our local newspaper… Imperial Valley Press Newspaper headline..... Rattle Snake Shoots/Injures Hunter in freak accident. After snake coiling up around shotgun, dropping it and then discharging. lol jk ,

I understand the coyote or fox carcass being left by the rancher to scare off other predators but that Ram head is strange. Could be some of that south of the border narco witch craft.... who would leave a nice fresh mount intact like that ?? Color me superstitious, best to have left it...
Great day afield with a great take of birds.

Reactions: WaterDawg
I understand the coyote or fox carcass being left by the rancher to scare off other predators but that Ram head is strange. Could be some of that south of the border narco witch craft.... who would leave a nice fresh mount intact like that ?? Color me superstitious, best to have left it...
Great day afield with a great take of birds.
Some sketchy stuff down there for sure. The ram head was rad. Maybe I should contact DFW to investigate.

Some sketchy stuff down there for sure. The ram head was rad. Maybe I should contact DFW to investigate.
Predators probably moved the ram head already but maybe you should contact DFV with the location and provide the photo. They might have other intell on similiar happenings in that area and they also network with other LEO agencies in that area....

Wasn't full curl? I get it..

Sounds like a rad trip none the less!! I heard small mouth make for some good eating. Looking forward to getting after some quail after deer season. Might have to take another trip to the IV.

Wasn't full curl? I get it..

Sounds like a rad trip none the less!! I heard small mouth make for some good eating. Looking forward to getting after some quail after deer season. Might have to take another trip to the IV.
If you’re looking for quail I’d recommend it. Seems to be a bumper crop in the IV this season.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu