IV upland bird report 11/9 and 10

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
John and I hit the IV Friday to scout 2nd season dove and chase quail. Arrived in the English and Davis Road fields around 7:30 am Friday and saw only two or three mourning dove in the entire area. Worked our way south along the East Highline and same deal, no dove. We did jump a few quail coveys and gave chase. Ended up with five between the two of us.
9131E809-6CB5-44E6-8BA3-4020F5C53638.jpeg
8DD0FC4E-9EBA-43B7-8CFD-BD598A25BC37.jpeg

We eventually went to an old standby area near Brawley and found a good volume of mourning dove, so it was an easy decision as to where we would go in the morning. Met up with several other buddies at the motel and got ready for Saturday morning.

It started slow but once it warmed up a bit the mournings began coming through pretty good. Ended up having a really fun shoot with several guys getting mourning limits and some ECDs mixed in. I ended with 14 mournings, six ECDs and one pigeon. And my shooting sucked! I think I used over a hundred shells to kill 21 birds. Need to get my eyes and reflexes checked I guess.
083E735C-180D-4016-813B-20B35CFCD130.jpeg
Great weather and light crowds. Talked with a couple of pheasant hunters who did well somewhere near Brawley.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu