Kauai Kalalau Trail Goat Hunt

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
I have a conference in Kaui at a 5 star hotel the first week of April. I enjoy a good hotel as much as anyone but I am way more comfortable outside. My wife and I are flying in 4 days early and we are going to archery backpack hunt feral goats and pigs on the Kalalau Trail on the Napali coast. $600 a night for a hotel or $160 for 4 nights on one of the most beautiful trails in the world sleeping in hammocks with my bow. I officially have the coolest wife in the world!

So stoked!!! I am going to be archery hunting in board shorts. The goats are invasive and there is no bag limit, they want them gone. It is going to be a tough hunt but who can complain I am hiking around one of the most beutiful places with my bow. I would like to take meat home but I have no idea how to keep it cool in a humid climate like this any ideas? Can't wait to walk into the lobby of that hotel with a goat head on my pack.

https://kalalautrail.com/information/hunting/

Probably a long shot but if anyone has any contacts over there I would really appreciate it.

download.jpg Goats.jpg hanakoa-kalalau-8-mile-goats.jpg images.jpg

I hiked part of the trail when I was over there. The trails not bad but can be slippery. (some of the locals that were hiking the trail had light duty type crampons)
Its cut in some really really steep slopes. and be prepared for rain daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRICER
You will have a blast. A lot of the locals hunt and are super generous. I have been invited to hunt many times, I just haven't done it yet.

Want them (goats) off the island, maybe? The locals love them. Hunting is part of their culture. I doubt there is much effort to eradicate them.

Call the resort. I can almost guarantee some if the people that work there will help you with info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sounds really fun. My niece and nephew live on that island, but they’re not hunters so can’t help you there. Bring lots of mosquito repellent.

That sounds awesome Drew. Let me see if I can get a hold of some folks. I lived in Big Island for 10 yrs.. my buddy is from Kauai. He and his friends all hunt, fish, and dive.. local guys from westside Kauai. I visited him a couple times to spearfish but I never hunted there. He lives in B.I. now though and not sure if he still keeps in touch. I may be there in April as well if u wanna take a flight over and go chase turkeys or mouflon with me on Mauna Kea lol.

Reactions: TRICER
That sounds awesome Drew. Let me see if I can get a hold of some folks. I lived in Big Island for 10 yrs.. my buddy is from Kauai. He and his friends all hunt, fish, and dive.. local guys from westside Kauai. I visited him a couple times to spearfish but I never hunted there. He lives in B.I. now though and not sure if he still keeps in touch. I may be there in April as well if u wanna take a flight over and go chase turkeys or mouflon with me on Mauna Kea lol.
I am gonna need a place to store my luggage while I am on the hike I really don’t want to rent a car for 4 days just to store my luggage. It would be rad if someone would let us put some stuff in their garage and we can Uber or shuttle to the trail head.

I hiked part of the trail when I was over there. The trails not bad but can be slippery. (some of the locals that were hiking the trail had light duty type crampons)
Its cut in some really really steep slopes. and be prepared for rain daily.
Ya it’s on the top most epic trails in the country as well as one of the top 10 most dangerous. Wife is a little freaked out but man what an adventure.

Mind me asking how much does it cost to hunt the goats on the island? Also what type of goats can you kill with your license? Just one species or multiply ones?

Mind me asking how much does it cost to hunt the goats on the island? Also what type of goats can you kill with your license? Just one species or multiply ones?
I am going off of memory from a week ago but I think for Feral goats / pigs it is Unlimited and you just need a Hawaii license $95. At least on the Nepali coast. A lot of the areas have seasons and or you can only hunt certain days of the week. There are a few forms you need to get signed and stamped. Besides the plane ride Hawaii is relatively inexpensive compared to western states. I would love to go hunt axis deer someday.

This is from the website.
Hunting of feral goats and feral pigs along the Kalalau Trail (Kauai public hunting Unit-G) is allowed 365 days each year, archery only, no daily bag limits, permit required. 3-day Unit-G archery permits must be picked up in person at the Kauai Division of Forestry and Wildlife Office in Lihue.

High numbers of goats can be found between the 6 and 11-mile markers. For day trips, try between the 3 and 5-mile markers or up Hanakapiai Valley. Good pig hunting occurs in the first 6 miles of the trail.

Thank you yeah if I go to Hawaii I will keep this in mind ! I was reading on there and it said what I believe or the way I took it that they only allow so many people per day and so you should get a permit early in case . Just thought I would let you know in case

Thank you yeah if I go to Hawaii I will keep this in mind ! I was reading on there and it said what I believe or the way I took it that they only allow so many people per day and so you should get a permit early in case . Just thought I would let you know in case
Yea they have screwy rules there. I'm not sure if Kauai is the same way, but many of Big Island's public hunt areas were weekend only and you're supposed to check in at these stations before the hunt.

Got the permit last week. There was only 25 left even this far in advance nuts.

I know this was a while ago but how did you do on that hunt? I am from Kauai and hunted in there many of times such a beautiful sacred place.

I know this was a while ago but how did you do on that hunt? I am from Kauai and hunted in there many of times such a beautiful sacred place.
It’s a long story but it ends with no we didn’t. I missed my flights by a week and ended up getting to the conference the day it started. My poor wife will never let me live that down.

I am headed over to the big island in April for 9 days. I am bringing my bow.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu