Keeping ducks in the field

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
I’ve always been under the assumption that ducks, amongst other game birds, keep well in the field for the majority of the day. Obviously the colder it is, the better. It I’ve shot ducks at first light at the Wiz and kept them in the field until 4pm and Had no issues with meat spoilage.

However, recently I shot a duck or two in the early hours and packed up at 1230. Warm day, weather said low 90’s. Got back to the truck and threw the birds in the cooler. Got home and just cut them open and they had a HORRIBLE stench. So bad that I threw them
out.

Ive never had an issue with this until now and I want to make sure I don’t have any more waste so I need to change things up. How do you keep your birds if you’re going to be out in the warm field all day?

Honestly I've never had a problem. Shot ducks at first light on hot openers in the valley, then hunted all day and headed home to clean them no issue. I guess you could field dress them, leaving a wing attached then toss in the cooler if you really wanted to.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I've never had that issue. I have done the same as you with my birds. I try to keep the birds out of direct sunlight in the blind

That’s what I’ve done the last 10 years hunting SoCal and haven’t had an issue. This was a first and I HATE to have had to toss me out. Have you guys heard of that butt plug gut puller or whatever it’s called? You stick it up the butt and pull the guts out..is it a gimmick or does that work?

That’s what I’ve done the last 10 years hunting SoCal and haven’t had an issue. This was a first and I HATE to have had to toss me out. Have you guys heard of that butt plug gut puller or whatever it’s called? You stick it up the butt and pull the guts out..is it a gimmick or does that work?
I had one of those years ago. I never saw any difference in the meat whether I used it or not. And yeah, it did work but it was kind of a mess to pull the guts out in the blind.

Thats for large game not ducks.
Never had issue, only duck I threw away was sick or something.

Shouldn't be a problem if they're in shade unless they're really shot up. Gut juice plus heat is bad.

Reactions: ilovesprig
What kind of ducks were they? Where did you shoot them? I hunt salt water bays sometimes here in N California , Grizzly bay, Honker bay, San Pablo bay and shoot a lot of divers. Some divers shot in the bays can smell terrible. I’ve has to dispose of a few over the years. I doubt your ducks spoiled to the point of smelling putrid. I think more than likely the smell was due to the water environment and what they’ve been eating recently. They may have been feeding in a nasty polluted area before flying to the area you were hunting. It’s also possible that they were diseased. In any event I doubt it was due to spoilage over a few hours that you were hunting.

Im guessing you may have gut shot em and the contents started to spoil inside the abdomen. Also don't stack your ducks one on top of the other. They hold their heat really well (for obvious reasons) so anything you can do to cool them down quickest the better

Both were gaddys. Gut-shot on both. Smelled immediately once I split the feathers/fat back.

Both were gaddys. Gut-shot on both. Smelled immediately once I split the feathers/fat back.
I've shot and cleaned thousands of doves in the June-Sept IV heat. Gut shot birds that are put in a cooler or brought home after a short hunt are fine. Non gut shot birds that get warm for hours in the shade are fine. Put 50 birds in the shade for hours and I'll have at least one that makes me gag when I go to breast it, always shot up in the guts.

Reactions: chessie and MAG 1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu