keyesville recreational mining area

surfcity

I don't play nice with baby killing gun grabbers
Jan 20, 2014
Huntington Beach
www.nra.com
What can anybody tell me about this area? Wanted to get away and do some panning for gold and maybe do some hunting up in these parts. Maybe even do some fishing in Lake Isabella. Would it be a spot to bring the family for a day or two of shooting fish and gold mining? Pitch a tent and howl with the yotes? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks Fellas!

Keyesville has signs posted for no hunting, but if you drive up the road further there is a turnout for black gulch which allows hunting. Camping there is free, but you have to contend with the transients that set up camp there as well. My grandfather used to dredge there for gold before they changed regulations, usually did pretty well.
It’s a good spot to camp, we usually camp there during quail season.

if You are looking for established campgrounds. We like boulder gulch and Tillie creek. They run 28 a night, but the camp host rarely come around and it’s possible it would be free to camp. We stayed the weekend of sept.28 for 3 days and didn’t pay a dime.

Keyesville use to be one of my favorite quail spots. We had to go in about 3 miles away from the campers but generally had good hunts. There use to be a limit to the time one could camp back there but, there were some campers who would stay for several days, leave for a night then come back and take another camp site. I owned a place in Wofford height for ten years. You can go up the river road above Kernville towards Johnsonville. Look for dirt roads and take them back a ways. there were always quail up there. The other option is go over to the south fork of the Kern river and head back towards Kelso Valley. You can take that road over to a fork which will either take you out to the 14 or go up over the top of the Mt. I don't know how much of that area is still public property but, you could hunt Valley and Mt quail as well as squirrel. Take the switchbacks up over the top it will bring you back down to Kelso Valley road and back to Kernville. You would need to allow for a full day to make round trip or, you could just go over there and set up camp over there.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu